13,019 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,212 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,019 Posts
OMG, say it isn't so. A professional saxophone player playing a Yamaha tenor with a Metalite mouthpiece. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.

·
Forum Contributor 2013-2017
687 Posts
Just to complete the picture, what reed was he using with the Metallite, $6 ligature, and no Klangbogen?

Kenneth

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,019 Posts
Just to complete the picture, what reed was he using with the Metallite, $6 ligature, and no Klangbogen?
I was wondering the same thing. My guess: Rico orange box 2.5

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
Probably the most underrated player of his (my!) generation....He's living in England nowadays-not far from Steve Winwood.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
3,196 Posts
Pee Wee seems to change mouthpiece quite a bit. I think he was playing a metal piece when I saw him. I looked up some Youtube clips at the time and he was playing an ebonite.
If you havent' checked out his solo albums, please do. There's some great material.

·
Registered
670 Posts
OMG, say it isn't so. A professional saxophone player playing a Yamaha tenor with a Metalite mouthpiece. I'm shocked, shocked I tell you.
I played my Metalite out on gigs years ago and it played great. Was playing in a rock , cover band at the time. That mouthpiece still beats out many pieces that cost 3 times the money. I don't play it anymore but would not hesitate to use it . Pee Wee sounds great on those clips. Amazing how closed-minded people are when it comes to many things music , gear etc. It doesn't have to be a Berg or whatever. A lot of Bergs etc. being made now are complete crap, bad facings and unplayable.

·
Registered
1,548 Posts
That mouthpiece still beats out many pieces that cost 3 times the money. I don't play it anymore but would not hesitate to use it . Pee Wee sounds great on those clips. Amazing how closed-minded people are when it comes to many things music , gear etc. It doesn't have to be a Berg or whatever. A lot of Bergs etc. being made now are complete crap, bad facings and unplayable.
Amen!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,254 Posts
Not sure if you realize this, but the older white haired gentleman playing trumpet is Ron Modell, the then leader of the Jazz Program at Northern Illinois University. It seems that the NIU Jazz Band was playing Montreaux when the Collins Band got sick. Collins asked Modell if he had some players who could sit in and play the gig as replacements. The majority of that band here in this video is members of the Northern Illinois University Jazz Band.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,243 Posts
More Metalite players:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts