Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Van Morrison - Tupelo Honey - Live with great solo by Pee Wee Ellis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5GMHzPeEyA

My sax slinging' Dutch friend who knows I love Pee Wee Ellis as much as she does, and the _SOUL_that he has and the unsung jazz feel. Check him out- HE'S BURNNG.

I saw this band with Pee Wee, and I gotta admidt that I never forgot it it- it was eons ago.

Pee Wee...Yeh. Beautiful MEMORABLE SOULFUL stuff. Enjoy:mrgreen:

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Yep. That' what's known as Tellin' a Story. Tellin' His story. That's freakin' beautiful and . . . . that's Soul.

Saw Pee Wee several times in Germany with Fred Wesley, both with and without Maceo and it was awesome, every time. Without Maceo they played more tunes with chord changes, which to me., gave them more of an opportunity to play some really beautiful things.

(p.s. on the video, Van wasn't too bad, either. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,828 Posts
thanks for posting, he lives about 40 miles from me in somerset, does the odd concert now and then,although, ive not seen him.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
thanks for posting, he lives about 40 miles from me in somerset, does the odd concert now and then,although, ive not seen him.
I met him a couple of times when he lived near Frome in Somerset, he must have moved nearer to you I think. Nice guy and nice to talk to.

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Tim, thank you for sharing that, awesome stuff.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Splendid stuff, thanks for sharing, Tim. That solo touches my heart, just as a good sax solo should.
Van's voice is also such a unique treasure.

I never perceived Pee Wee as such a soulful, cutting soloist, he sounded rather subdued on "Mo' Roots" and live when I saw him with Maceo in, errrr, 93 or 94.
Guess he had to get on the back seat and let Maceo take the centre stage when he played with him.

And from the UK as well, who'd'a thunk!?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts