Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
His new cd Tenoration is a fantastic recording.
It seems he plays a metal mpc now. Anyone knows what it is?

·
SOTW Columnist, Distinguished SOTW Member
23,688 Posts
Pee Wee Ellis was playing an RPC (hard rubber). I don't know if he's changed to something else or not. What makes you think he's playing a metal mpc now?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Here's a larger version of the picture:

Maybe a Lebayle?

·
Registered
466 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You seem right, i looked at some lebayle mpc : probably a lr…

·
Registered
881 Posts
Great playing on the Tenoration album, by the way. Really fat tenor tone. I only knew him as a part of the Maceo bands, but he seems to be a heavy player on his own as well...
:-b

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,215 Posts

·
Registered
881 Posts
'Modern' Selmer--has a high F# key.BTW he played on many of Van Morrison's best records ever-- over a long period and lives over here.
Yes yes. I have listened to those. Great, love Van M music, so much soul in that stuff... Somehow, I just connected PWE with Maceo - they seem to have been connected since early James Brown Band. Anyway, both guys are really great players.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,264 Posts

·
Banned
28,511 Posts
He was playing a Metalite in the 1998 Van Morrison concert at the Rock Palast. This was an incredible band with among others, Candy Dulfer and Fred Wesley. Great Great music all around. Check it out below. Pee Wee was his great self, Candy was awesome on every solo she blew and Fred was so funky he makes you love T-Bone playing.

·
Registered
1,628 Posts
He was playing a Metalite in the 1998 Van Morrison concert at the Rock Palast. This was an incredible band with among others, Candy Dulfer and Fred Wesley. Great Great music all around. Check it out below. Pee Wee was his great self, Candy was awesome on every solo she blew and Fred was so funky he makes you love T-Bone playing.

He also played a Metalite with the Phil Collins Big Band and here:

·
Registered
69 Posts
There is a Pee Wee Ellis masterclass on YouTube from April 2015 where he talks about his setup:Brancher metal mouthpiece with a Brancher ligature and a 2 1/2 Rico Royal reed.He plays a Yamaha tenor not sure of model.Great player,nice guy.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.