Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was gifted a Sho Bud Professional pedal steel guitar and have wanted a PSG since the late ‘50s.
The result of visiting the Lyon&Healy/Steinway building as a kid with a Kay archtop at home.

No more Fretting.... literally.... I always finger pick with my right and my fretting hand will be likened to a trombone slide.
I have a Stetson, a Winchester and tumbleweed prairies to ride... hope it comes with a Pinto. ;)

This will be fun.
Any players out there?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,935 Posts
Not a player, but I enjoy listening to a good pedal steel player.

Ever hear Robert Randolph and the Family Band? I first heard him in a Crossroads Concert DVD. Amazing...

I will admit to owning a piccolo, but cannot yet enjoy playing it.

·
Registered
457 Posts
My fantasy jazz band has to have a pedal steel in it. I'm surprised it's never made it into the jazz world in a substantial way. Such a versatile and amazing sounding instrument.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,888 Posts
Pedal Steel is so ridiculously hard to play, and as far as I am concerned it’s indispensable in honky tonk and Westrrn Swing. Western Swing, you know, is jazz. (Ducks). A friend of mine’s father was a pro player who worked every day and offered me lessons back in the day, but I scoffed. My mistake!

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
View attachment 238794
The picc at rest waiting for its new stand.... aboard a Sho Bud.
Randolph is superb... eat your heart out Benson... six strings is old school. :D

The new P125 keyboard is much harder as piano involves split personalities? :argue:

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Standard guitar only but I’m a pedal steel fan (Speedy West, Buddy Emmons, etc.) for quite some time. Enjoy!! A Sho Bud is sweet!!

I was gifted a Sho Bud Professional pedal steel guitar and have wanted a PSG since the late ‘50s.
The result of visiting the Lyon&Healy/Steinway building as a kid with a Kay archtop at home.

No more Fretting.... literally.... I always finger pick with my right and my fretting hand will be likened to a trombone slide.
I have a Stetson, a Winchester and tumbleweed prairies to ride... hope it comes with a Pinto. ;)

This will be fun.
Any players out there?

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
I had one custom made, played it for while and actually got the hang of it - enough to realize its pretty deep to get a full vocabulary of sensible licks and technique. I decided the only way to learn it and become fluent, is as part of a band. I've gigged it twice, working up a small set. The cover bands I play only do a couple country pieces per gig, not enough to justify setting up a PSG, much less tuning it, to have it go out of tune by the time the one or two tunes come around. What I need, is a country cover band, that only does one or two non-country pieces per gig, that way I could play enough steel to justify it, and alternate on fiddle banjo or telecaster. And so it has sat since then, waiting for that band project to form.

·
Registered
444 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
It might take a six pack of Coladas to get me thinking that fast. ;)
Building a box and neck for a PSG is easy but when I looked at the mechanism, of a harp as well, I decided to buy a PSG someday and asked a gal... who played harp with a major symphony at age 16 ...and whose parents left her a harp trust fund.... to please notify me if she ever finds one with the wood afire.
Back in the early ‘70s.

Flute and guitar
Tenor sax and pedal steel
Plays nice anytime
https://youtu.be/IWK22mhdL90?list=PL2dHrlwMMpiICB6sRzUKot7E-FCUuj7M5
For tenor sax
https://youtu.be/vbYZXYl50tc

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Cool Music to discover in the links. But where's the piccolo?

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
That’s what I’m trying to figure out as well. That was some really nice playing in the second video, really excellent.
I mentioned Speedy West as he’s acknowledged as the pioneer of recorded pedal steel along with his equally great partner, electric guitarist Jimmy Bryant.

Cool Music to discover in the links. But where's the piccolo?

·
Registered
4,424 Posts
Was in Oahu and listened for a long time to a solo pedal steel player.
He was very good and inventive.
Heard one with King Sunny Ade band from Africa, it added a cool sound with all the percussion and regular guitars.
Saw a demonstration when I went to The Grove School and had to write a country song with a pedal guitar part.

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
Yes, and I guess what was considered standard fare/boilerplate for a country ballad back in the day by Buck Owens and his broad exposure through Hee-Haw, was in fact considered quite urbane to that fan base. He by no means was country-lite but sort of an ambassador if you will.

I love that ****. Open to new modes on the thing, but also love the older sounds that I usta hate.

https://youtu.be/c6WgMD1_JHI

1 - 18 of 18 Posts