Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a junior performance major looking for graduate programs. I can find performance masters degrees for days but I am having some issues finding pedagogy masters degrees. Does anybody have a link and/or a particular school that they can share with me?

Thank you all,

Dereck

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Dereck, I'm not saying they don't exist, but I've never seen one offered in the US. Usually that's taken care of in the course of one's performance studies.

·
Registered
233 Posts
The University of Southern Maine offers an M.M. in pedagogy:

https://usm.maine.edu/music/mm-pedagogy

I didn't go to this school so I don't really know anything about the school or the programs of study. I only know of this school from my own research in Masters Degrees from a decade back. Good luck in your endeavors! What separates an M.M. in performance from pedagogy?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,862 Posts
M.Ed in music?

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
University of Miami has a jazz pedagogy masters program.
I assume pedagogy degrees are made to compliment b.m. in education degrees. What reason do youn want a pedagogy degree for?

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have sometimes heard "Pedagogy" used in association with an education degree and a performance degree. If you go through a traditional Music Education M.M. you will have to do a thesis. If you direct your thesis on instrument pedagogy, you will get a lot out of the research. Along with the standard research classes, applied instrument and ensembles, you should get out of the degree what you need. As with most traditional degrees, you have to sculpt it to fit your needs.

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,830 Posts
The University of Southern Maine offers an M.M. in pedagogy:

https://usm.maine.edu/music/mm-pedagogy

I didn't go to this school so I don't really know anything about the school or the programs of study. I only know of this school from my own research in Masters Degrees from a decade back. Good luck in your endeavors! What separates an M.M. in performance from pedagogy?
Like all other poorly operated state schools, USM is cutting programs and faculty every semester to keep administration's heads...errr salaries above water. Check into these programs to make sure they're still in existence before enrolling. Yes, they'll let you enroll then inform you your program is on the chopping block.

·
Registered
93 Posts
BRAVO for looking into the Ed aspect of your music & education... I too was looking to dodge the thesis:homework:... I did my
Undergrad @ MSM in Jazz Saxophone Studies / Composition
Graduate @ Seton Hall in Education (emphasis in technology so NO THESIS)
Doctorate (candidate) @ Rutgers in Music Education (no foreign language component:headbang:).
There are some AMAZING Saxophone PEDAGOGY jobs out there for the right guy with the RIGHT skill-set.

Hopefully a few will show up here...
http://main.hercjobs.org/jobs/?keywords=music&sort=score

Peace..

FF

1 - 10 of 10 Posts