Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Pearl alto flute on the way. I got the one with solid tube and head. Has anyone got experience of the Pearl altos? I tried one in a shop and it seemed to be a great alto up with other altos I've owned ..Muramatsu, Sankyo and Yamaha but for much less money. Pearl seem to give a lot of horn for the money..their Picc is outstanding.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
Hope its the new version I didnt like the 206 s I have now a dean yang flute which is awesome straight head joint

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Contributor 2010
1,502 Posts
That is very exciting. Please keep us posted. I think a lot of us would appreciate a review after you have had a change to play it a bit.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,031 Posts
They are probably the best lower priced alto flutes around. I don't make altos and refer people to the Pearl. If money is an issue, the ones from China are around in the $700 range with both heads. Get the curved head too as there are times (in a pit) that you will need it and resale is easier.

·
Registered
212 Posts
There were no Pearls in T.O. to try but I recently picked up a Jupiter with both head joints, brand new for $999 and have been a bit disappointed. I had tried a DeMedici and was impressed and thought this would be a good alternative as I only use it for doubling, but the sound is not impressive even though it is easy to play up to the 3rd. octave. Probably me! In any event, Tom Lee Music in Vancouver Canada still has another one for this price, they didn't want to ship to another province because of their dealer commitments, but after i waived the warranty they sold it to me as used, no big deal. I had heard only good thing about the Jupiter so I was excited to get one for the price, now I'm not so sure, I'll keep working on it for awhile! Good luck with your new Pearl.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I finally got my Pearl alto up and running. I think for the money it's a nice flute and projects well particularly in the 2nd register. I am still hankering after a Sankyo or Kingma but I will be happier taking this out live. I am going to use it tonight for the first time.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
I'm still playing my deMedici and after trying others over time since my big set of trials a few years back, I'm still convinced this is one of the better values out there. I didn't like the solid silver ones cause they're so darn heavy!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,934 Posts
I have a Pearl alto flute on the way. I got the one with solid tube and head. Has anyone got experience of the Pearl altos? I tried one in a shop and it seemed to be a great alto up with other altos I've owned ..Muramatsu, Sankyo and Yamaha but for much less money. Pearl seem to give a lot of horn for the money..their Picc is outstanding.
Did you compare the 201 and 206 as well?

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did try a 206 I think and it was very nice. I didn't have the opportunity to try them at the same time. In the past when I tried a solid Sankyo and a silver head version although they were both excellent I thought the solid tube had a little more tonal weight so I opted for the solid tube Pearl.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,934 Posts
Thanks.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
After owning this alto for a while now and recording with it a couple of times and using it live I would evaluate it as a very good mid price altoflute.

The overall finish is very good. I had to have my tech go over it to get it in good playing condition but that is the usual case with any new instrument.

The tone although on the bright side of the spectrum has good colour. Projection particularly in the second and third register is excellent.

The scale is excellent and very even.

My two criticisms.

The head is not a perfect fit. When pulled out a little there is a slight wobble. This I think will not contribute to optimum performance. It can be corrected but shouldn't have to be. I have found this problem on the three Pearl flutes I have tried including an Elegante and a Quantz. The fit of the head on the Quantz was diabolical. The wood case on the Elegante was a poor fit and the flute body rocked when in the case. Pearl should look into this.
There is a loud metal on metal click on the right little finger roller which is a poor fit. This can be corrected but shouldn't have to be.

The Pearl is a good instrument let down by sloppy fittings particularly the head fit. It is no match for the Sankyo alto but less than a third of the price. It is better than the Yamaha at more than twice the price,
Conclusion ...A good gigging alto flute.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts