Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where's your peaceful practicing spot?

I took some photos of my little garden area I practice in and thought I'd share.
I find it very peaceful practicing out there, not so sure that the neighbours appreciate it as much as I do though!

I have power out there, so at least they get to listen to some decent backing tracks, even if the sax player is a bit rubbish!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,434 Posts
most people in most part of the urbanized world can’t practice outdoors and if they do it at all is often out of necessity.

I am already lucky to be able to practice in the laundry space in the attic where the washing machine is. Not that anybody has compelled me to do so but because I am trying, as much as possible , to bother the neighbors as little as possible

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
most people in most part of the urbanized world can’t practice outdoors and if they do it at all is often out of necessity.

I am already lucky to be able to practice in the laundry space in the attic where the washing machine is. Not that anybody has compelled me to do so but because I am trying, as much as possible , to bother the neighbors as little as possible
Luckily I have an empty block on the other side of that fence, the only adjoining neighbour is on the other side of the house, but it certainly can be heard all around. None of the immediate neighbours seem bothered, it's something to joke and tease us about. I do pick my times, not before 1pm so as not to disturb people's lunch time, then stop before 5.30pm when people are coming home from work and wanting to relax themselves. My wife practices inside the house, but that broadcasts in all directions and is probably heard by more people.

I show a garden, but that's not going to be where everyone finds peace while practicing, for you, it's an attic, others may have dedicated rooms, or other situations. Perhaps they travel to a secluded/isolated spot?
I just thought people might like to share their "happy places". :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Hey Dave...looks like a nice spot with lots of "greenery". I've got the opposite in NZ and Australia (Atherton Tablelands). Both large blocks (rural) and I've got a tiny space inside where I play, but I'm also mostly recording, so need to be in a secure dry place with power.

I noticed another assistance to your relaxing...Cooper's in the green label bottle?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hey Dave...looks like a nice spot with lots of "greenery". I've got the opposite in NZ and Australia (Atherton Tablelands). Both large blocks (rural) and I've got a tiny space inside where I play, but I'm also mostly recording, so need to be in a secure dry place with power.

I noticed another assistance to your relaxing...Cooper's in the green label bottle?
Yep, Cooper's Pale Ale, the ultimate practice aid! 😁
I'm in South Australia, so I've been drinking Cooper's Ale exclusively since I was a boy!

32 Posts
That looks nice! In college, we had a small garden right outside of the music building that was slightly hidden behind the main building. Used to take my clarinet and sax out there to spend a few hours practicing in the peace and quiet.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,151 Posts
I have a 8' x 12' greenhouse behind the garage. It would make a nice place to shed if I didn't already have a room in the house dedicated to my music stuff. Now if I could only get the old lady to go back to work in her office downtown.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I recently started to play in my mobile practice room. The practice room has a very good acoustic with a peaceful view into the forest. Actually it’s a little parking lot at the highway. No one could complain. Well, sometimes there are some surprised looking walkers.

·
Registered
Tenor, alto, Bb Clarinet, Flute
2,151 Posts
I did that in my college days when I lived in an apartment with paper thin walls. I worked late hours and would sometimes drive to a nearby park at 2 or 3 in the morning. It was a good way to decompress after a stressful night at work.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,866 Posts
I will occasionally drive my van/class B motorhome to a secluded area overlooking the Pacific Ocean. It can get a bit distracting since I get mesmerized by the ocean and wildlife but it does make for a "different" place to practice which is always inspiring. It's like a tiny music room. My home music room overlooking Richardson Bay and San Francisco is pretty much as peaceful as I can imagine peaceful....... as long as I'm alone. :giggle:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts