Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a fee with a PayPal transaction. Isn't a personal cheque a cheaper option? If both parties have a bank account in the same country, there should be no fee involved.

What is your opinion on this?

Registered
No different then sending PayPal F&F, no fees. IMHO

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
I'd go with a cheque over paypal any day.

Deposit the cheque. Your bank may want a day or two to check the funds and make sure it goes through. Once it clears you're good to send them the horn.

Or it bounces.... ha. But at least you haven't sent them anything or they can't dispute it through some third party that doesn't know the details of the situation (paypal).

I think a personal cheque is better honestly. It's more of a risk to the buyer I'd think.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
Thing is, at least in US.....it is more than 2 days wait on the deposited personal check.

Even though you, the Seller, deposit a check and it shows in your balance same day or next day, and even clears the signer's bank within 2-3 days, the check can still be canceled by the signer within several days after that and then the $ would be debited from Seller's account.

So, signer/buyer can do a slop job on check with his/her signature. Send the check.

Seller deposits check, it seems to clear. Credits/becomes available to his/her account w/i 0-48 hours.

Seller ships item. Then like day 4-5, after Seller has shipped, buyer contacts his bank and says 'hey, I just saw this check....I didn't authorize that check; please cancel it !"

Buyer's bank sees signature doesn't match, cancels check.

Day 6 or 7 ...Seller's bank notifies him that check has been canceled on issuing bank's end, and the amount has now been debited from Seller's account.

Buyer ends up with a free item. Seller has little recourse unless the buyer lives fairly locally....

I take personal checks, but always tell buyer it is going to be a 7-8 calendar day turnaround on shipping once I receive the check.

US Postal Money Order is a quicker option because they cannot be canceled by the buyer, so I know that as soon as I deposit a Money Order, there's no 'backsies'.

Same with a bank cashier's check.

Registered
Thing is, at least in US.....it is more than 2 days wait on the deposited personal check.

Even though you, the Seller, deposit a check and it shows in your balance same day or next day, and even clears the signer's bank within 2-3 days, the check can still be canceled by the signer within several days after that and then the $ would be debited from Seller's account.

So, signer/buyer can do a slop job on check with his/her signature. Send the check.

Seller deposits check, it seems to clear. Credits/becomes available to his/her account w/i 0-48 hours.

Seller ships item. Then like day 4-5, after Seller has shipped, buyer contacts his bank and says 'hey, I just saw this check....I didn't authorize that check; please cancel it !"

Buyer's bank sees signature doesn't match, cancels check.

Day 6 or 7 ...Seller's bank notifies him that check has been canceled on issuing bank's end, and the amount has now been debited from Seller's account.

Buyer ends up with a free item. Seller has little recourse unless the buyer lives fairly locally....

I take personal checks, but always tell buyer it is going to be a 7-8 calendar day turnaround on shipping once I receive the check.

US Postal Money Order is a quicker option because they cannot be canceled by the buyer, so I know that as soon as I deposit a Money Order, there's no 'backsies'.

Same with a bank cashier's check.
this is why i (as a private seller) would not accept a personal check from anyone except a trusted friend.

there also is a common scam where someone will contact you online to contract you to perform some service (i have seen people pose as parents looking for a tutor for their child and individuals hoping to book a gig for a private party). they then ask if they can send you extra by check, and ask you to deposit the difference in another account (this will supposedly go to the tutor in another subject, the event planner, the other band playing the party, etc). of course after you make the transfer they cancel the check, so you're out whatever money you transfered and they and your money disappear into the ether, never to be seen again.

Registered
There is no disputing when you send F&F. It's like handing cash over in person. Much simpler then personal checks for the many reasons already brought up here.

I'd go with a cheque over paypal any day.

Deposit the cheque. Your bank may want a day or two to check the funds and make sure it goes through. Once it clears you're good to send them the horn.

Or it bounces.... ha. But at least you haven't sent them anything or they can't dispute it through some third party that doesn't know the details of the situation (paypal).

I think a personal cheque is better honestly. It's more of a risk to the buyer I'd think.

Registered
There is no disputing when you send F&F. It's like handing cash over in person. Much simpler then personal checks for the many reasons already brought up here.
Well, there IS the fact that such a transaction violates PayPal's rules. I know SOTW tends to disregard that.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
if you would buy internationally, cashing a personal cheque would be costing the seller a LOT of money and there are risks, mentioned above, in accepting a cheque. A cashier cheque would be better but expensive at the receiving end.

F & F is very good.

How about a moneygram?

https://secure.moneygram.com

Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
That's a fair point
I have known people get their PayPal account suspended or closed due to abuse such as using F & F for commercial transactions.

In answer to the OP, then yes if you trust the buyer you can accept a cheque. Or bank transfer. or cash.

My preference is to have diamonds deposited into a locker at Waterloo station.

Registered
Morality apart, based on PayPal's user agreement I find it a weak case to terminate a user account based on a individual to individual money exchange to buy something. What exactly defines the individual as your friend or not? You're allowed to send money to friends, no matter the reason for doing it. The few times I did use F&F to buy something I always called the seller and chatted about the item for a while. I'd argue we became friends :)

When buying from a comercial institution I use the pay for goods and the seller pays the fees.

Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
I have many friends here on SOTW ( a few enemies too), no family though.

Is there enemies and family option too?

Morality apart, based on PayPal's user agreement I find it a weak case to terminate a user account based on a individual to individual money exchange to buy something. .
But I though friends and family has terms that it is not for transactions, so nothing to do with morality, more just and infringement of their terms so they do have the right to terminate an account that infringes their T & C. I think. Might be wrong of course.

Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
I send cashier checks from my bank, and similarly accept them without worries.

Registered
Alto sax, Tenor sax, Clarinet
Morality apart, based on PayPal's user agreement I find it a weak case to terminate a user account based on a individual to individual money exchange to buy something. What exactly defines the individual as your friend or not? .
Cute! But come on..... :faceinpalm: That's not even close to a defensible position. The fees just aren't that bad when compared to the convenience PayPal offers.

Registered
But I though friends and family has terms that it is not for transactions, so nothing to do with morality, more just and infringement of their terms so they do have the right to terminate an account that infringes their T & C. I think. Might be wrong of course.
I did not see that in their user agreement. Can you point to whether this clause is?

I did not see that in their user agreement. Can you point to whether this clause is?
A4.2 A "Personal Transaction" payment involves sending money (initiated from the "Friends and Family" tab of the "Send Money" flow) to, and receiving money into your PayPal Account from, friends and family without making an underlying commercial transaction (that is, the payment is not for the purchase of goods or services or for making any other commercial transaction).

If you are making a commercial transaction (for instance selling goods or services), you may not ask the buyer to send you a Personal Transaction payment for the purchase. If you do so, PayPal may remove your ability to accept any or all payments for Personal Transactions.

Distinguished SOTW Member
When I have purchased equipment, I have used paypal f&f or a cashier's check. Cashier's checks are free, USPS money orders are not.

Registered
No transaction between two individuals will be 100 percent safe and reliable, especially when trading internationally. I sold a saxophone to a gentleman in Canada, who paid with a cashier's check drawn on a large, reputable Canadian bank. The check cleared and the funds were credited. Some days later, the check mysteriously "decleared" and the funds were debited, apparently at the direction of the clearing bank that acts as the intermediary in U.S.-Canada transactions. We were never able to learn the reason for this step, despite inquiries at both ends of the deal. (In the meantime, the horn had been shipped and received.) A couple of months later, the funds were magically recredited, possibly because of a complaint I submitted to the OCC (the federal agency that regulates national banks). By that time, however, the buyer already had repaid via another mechanism, so we now we had a double payment that had to be half refunded, with a new check going in the other direction. The joys of the banking system ... at one point I was on vacation on Hawaii -- walking around Pearl Harbor, actually -- and received a call from Canada on my cell phone informing me that the funds we thought had been taken care of now had mysteriously been debited from the buyer's account.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts