Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009-
2,759 Posts
Well, they're pretty enough, that's for sure.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2013-2016
7,889 Posts
Looks like a modifed Chinese or Babbitt metal blank to me.

·
Forum Contributor 2010 / RIP
1,363 Posts
Twas just a matter of time! Let's see how long it takes the US dealers of P.Mauriat saxes start selling this MP.

·
Banned
2,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Wouldn't it be nice if instrument makers would actually spend some quality time and investment into a mouthpiece that was on par with the quality of the instrument? Novel concept...

Hell, just bite the bullet and go into a coop with Vandoren or otto link or Meyer or whatever...

I bet these mauriat pieces blow alright...might be surprised...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,487 Posts
there are los of these mouthpiece around under different brands, perhaps theres a factory that churns out loads of them and people buy them with their brand on it.
ive seen more than 5 different 'identities' for these same mouthpieces.

·
Forum Contributor 2007 Distinguished SOTW Member
820 Posts
Has anyone played one of these? Do they play better than say, a stock link for $129.00

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor 20
4,842 Posts
Selmer's_glu said:
Look like "someone who will go nameless" is selling the exact same mpc, as their own:

http://www.gis.net/~schwartz/legacyten.htm

Globalism, the global economy, you dig?
That's funny. His copy says how the design and experience led to the development of the new piece. What a lying sack of...oh, never mind.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
spiderjames said:
Has anyone played one of these? Do they play better than say, a stock link for $129.00
I've played two of the SBV ones I show on my thread. These had a different baffle and chamber to the P Mauriat one in the photo - little to no baffle and a very open chamber like a Link and they actually costs a little more ($199) because there's more hand finishing to them. They play really good, just like an old school tenor sound you'd expect from a Link style piece. My teacher liked it so much that he bought my demo one so I had to order another! He plays it as his primary tenor piece and he gets a lovely, warm, dark, husky tone from it too. They're CNC lathed then hand finished and the gold plating is very high quality so all in all they're good pieces with a lot of personal attention to each one. The built in lig works well.

BTW I wasn't marketing them, just seeing what anyone thought of them. I can get them for anyone who wants one but I won't be stocking them because the P Mauriat price of $177 is very good value and I can match it (I think I quoted $175 for the higher baffle piece) but I can't better it and if I can't better it then what's the point? :)

Bottom line - I wouldn't hesitate to recommend trying one out if you can find one and I wish P Mauriat every success with them!

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Morry said:
That's funny. His copy says how the design and experience led to the development of the new piece. What a lying sack of...oh, never mind.
Yeah I've been biting my tongue on not saying anything about that for a good two months :| They are good pieces though if you ignore all the BS :)

·
Registered
1,486 Posts
So if relatively cheap Chinese mouthpieces will flood our market soon, this could mean serious competition and maybe even significant price drops for decent quality mpcs! Wait until they will start hand-finishing them (and labor is insanely cheap in China)! This could shake up the market quite a lot.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts