Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
762 Posts
Excellent Paul. Beautiful sound. Harmonically and rhythmically rich in texture. Pretty much everything I'd want to hear from a trio in this instrumental format. I love your space. My one gripe with a lot of players is the relentless nature of the improv. You leave enough space in between phrases to refresh the line. I'd give this 5 stars :)

·
Administrator
17,284 Posts
I checked Half Nelson, very nice tenor sound and playing. For my ears your drummer was a bit too much present (playing wise and volume) and the base could have been a bit more present in the mix, but it could my speakers (laptop). Thanks for sharing Paul. :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Hi Paul, great playing.
You have a great control on your instrument and great tone and phrasing.
I love the sound of the trio (I've recorded my last album in trio and it will be released soon...).
It is the ensemble that can give you the maximum freedom and expression, of course it is also a difficult organic to deal with!
I also like the recording, simple and realistic, very "dry", I am not a fanatic of big reverbs and effects in general.
"self released", so did you record the band by yourself?
Bye, Fabrizio

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey Fabrizio, thanks for the kind words and looking forward to your music as well! I did record the band as well. Still working on my studio chops. A whole other instrument in itself! - PJ

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,073 Posts
YAS, Paul Jones for president! Sounds killer, man, just watch out for that bassist, I hear he cooks garlic potatoes every morning while stumbling around the kitchen listening to NPR podcasts on noise-canceling headphones. Magical Russian garlic juice flows through his veins, making him impervious to fire damage and undead. His new synth bass gives him +3 to Dexterity and he also speaks too many languages.

For real though, that's a remarkably great "living room recording" and I'm stoked to hear more of these. Wanna geek out and tell me about the mic/pre/interface/DAW situation you got going on? The production and the playing are both badass.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yo Brian, I hear ya on the bass player. Sleep with one eye open around that guy! Let's definitely nerd out on the tech stuff!!!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts