Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
15,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5vnrNWyvI-U

I wonder if any of us were at Newport in 1956 when this was played. I was only 9 at the time and just starting out on the sax.

Anyone actually there to hear this by Gonsalves?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I wasn't even alive, but it really should have been ridiculous great! not many of gonsalves here, imo....

·
Registered
683 Posts
20 yrs before my time. I have a recording of "Salt n Pepper" which is Paul Gosalves and Sonny Stitt head to head on a blues and of course it's great.
I'm not too familiar with PG's career outside of his work with Duke. He had an inimitable style imho. I wonder if he would have become more popular
if he had not stayed with Duke and became a sideman and leader with other artists?

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
20 yrs before my time. I have a recording of "Salt n Pepper" which is Paul Gosalves and Sonny Stitt head to head on a blues and of course it's great.
I'm not too familiar with PG's career outside of his work with Duke. He had an inimitable style imho. I wonder if he would have become more popular
if he had not stayed with Duke and became a sideman and leader with other artists?
30 years before my time... i think he is a must to listen to. From the coleman hawkins 'school'. Check out Gettin' Together! album. There's great stuff out there.

·
15,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The "Salt and Pepper" album is very good. I still have the vinyl I bought in the '60s. Good playing by both Gonsalves and Stitt.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Actually 11 yrs before my time.......but hey who's countin'?

·
15,839 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Many would claim that Stitt was a clone of Bird......not sure I totally agree with that position and Stitt surely didn't. Both were excellent in their own ways.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Sadly, there is very little solo work by Gonsalves, probably owing largely to his problematic lifestyle. I always imagined Duke had a real fondness for Gonsalves, which kept him in the group despite certain mishaps.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Check out the audio page on www.paulgonsalves.org

There is a recording of the band and Paul playing D&C in blue about three weeks after the Newport recording and I think it's a better version-when Paul heats up it's incredible.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013-
5,183 Posts
Check out Gettin' Together! album. There's great stuff out there.
Amen. One of my all time favorite recordings.

I had a chance to talk with Rennell Gonsalves, Paul's son, a year or two ago and asked him what it was like growing up with Paul as his papa. His answer was, "I hardly ever saw him. He was always working." Rennell is a very good drummer who sometimes plays with Cleveland's own Ernie Krivda.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2010-
369 Posts
He was a BAMF of the highest order, and when he was full throttle like on D&C, he was preaching. Right to the soul, in my opinion anyway.
I saw a Jazz at The Philharmonic (JATP) at Canegie Hall when I was a teenager with Duke's band and Ella Fitzgerald was on the concert bill along with many other greats. Anyway at one point Ella is trading 4's with PG and he is burning so much she just starts to laugh with joy and like waves her white hankie. Cool.

·
2,870 Posts
Many would claim that Stitt was a clone of Bird......not sure I totally agree with that position and Stitt surely didn't. Both were excellent in their own ways.
Sonny Stitt is one of my favorite players and I think it's bs to call Sonny Stitt a Charlie Parker clone. They have quite a lot in common but stitt has quite an individual style.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015
2,323 Posts
I love Paul Gonzalves and i think he was more modern in style than he let on most times. he had a deep affection for Ben Webster that showed in his balladry
And of course in a lot of solo spots with Duke's band. i also here a lot of angularity and shapes in his lines uptempo lines moreso than the usual Bebop lines.
More of a protobopper who respected the swing fashion of playing as was expected but boy when he carved out solos on uptempos he was almost in the Free Jazz
Realm of playing with a lot of passion and soul. my only gripe was a certain softness around his core sound that was difficult to process.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts