1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist and Saxophonistic Art
6,260 Posts
Listen and find out why....:mrgreen:

·
Registered
530 Posts
I've listened to this about 5 times so far. The cool look he gives around to his right before launching into the solo with extreme intensity kills me every time! Cool stuff at 1:28. And that cadenza!! Video quality is like HD. He couldn't be anything other than original. Thanks for posting

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
11,501 Posts
Thanks, Tim

Many years ago I saw a B&W photo of Paul playing and the sweat was pouring down and he had this vein standing out in the middle of his forehead. It looked as if he were going to explode... Try as I might, I never could get to that vein popping look. Now, I'm more afraid they're all going to pop. Old age is a beeyatch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,408 Posts
I've listened to this about 5 times so far. The cool look he gives around to his right before launching into the solo with extreme intensity kills me every time! Cool stuff at 1:28. And that cadenza!! Video quality is like HD. He couldn't be anything other than original. Thanks for posting
The 'coolest' guys ever, in the best band--ever!! Duke sure knew how to pick them bad boys!

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Paul Gonzalves....Paul Gonzalves... Paul Gon-zalves!

Thanks for sharing that, and Steve many thanks for linking the YT clip of Paul's exquisite performance of Laura...what an arrangement as well. Perfection.

Love his interpretation of Yesterdays and what a solo entrance!

Shawn

·
Registered
359 Posts
And a medium tempo romp on "Yesterdays": [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaL2Vuh_nlU" said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaL2Vuh_nlU[/URL]
Oh man, this is one of my favorite albums. Thanks, everyone, for a nice Paul Gonsalves interlude this evening.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,163 Posts
I'd say only Duke could wear a hot orange jacket with light blue pants and get away with it.

·
Registered
516 Posts
Nice clips! The first time I saw a video clip of Gonsalves I was surprised that that steady, smooth tone was coming from someone who looked like they were going to explode. I love his style, he is a master of tension notes.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts