Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have you noticed that Desmond often adjusts his screw ligature after playing. I wonder if it was just a nervous habit or something else.

My teacher helped me start to get to altissimo when he saw my reed placement and ligature placement were all screwed up. He also mentioned the tightness of he ligature affects things- thats when I remembered Desmond adjusting his screws.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Love his playing, too. I'd like to sound like him but I'm way too neurotic and aggressive to naturally play like that ALL the time.

Interestingly enough my sound and set up as drifted towards this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AL7ju73vcBs

I used to start at middle c when playing this song. Then I heard this and played it staring at high c at the jams session and some musicians I respect like it! I also through in the low c# at :33

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
8,035 Posts
The screws - its a habit. Here's why we get that habit - starting a set with a neck screw loose or ligature screws loose. If you do it once, you'll do it again. Hence, you find yourself checking them all the time when you're not otherwise occupied.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,632 Posts
Look closely. Is he loosening the ligature or tightening it? Not that it matters for the rest of us. I wanted to be a professional baseball player so as a kid I watched the big name players. Picking at their crotch while returning to their playing positions after a play seemed to be really important. It turns out that it didn't help me. There must be more to it.Mark

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III & Naked Lady
29,843 Posts
Picking at their crotch while returning to their playing positions after a play seemed to be really important. It turns out that it didn't help me. There must be more to it.Mark
Well of course it wouldn’t Help your baseball playing, that is absurd. However, as we all know, it will certainly help your intonation.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Well of course it wouldn’t Help your baseball playing, that is absurd. However, as we all know, it will certainly help your intonation.
If that were true, then teenage boys would have excellent intonation, and it would start to deteriorate when they got steady girlfriends, . . . and it would gradually improve again after they'd been married for awhile.

·
Registered
3,203 Posts
Just like a jock strap, the ligature screws should be tight enough to hold things together and no tighter.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts