1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
39,230 Posts
great :) thanks!

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
It was interesting to hear this audio. Parker had big plans for the future, but he died about a year after this interview. His legacy certainly lives on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
1,020 Posts
What a great find, thanks!

I knew that Bird did "some" woodshedding but.... that explains many things.
He quotes Einstein who also used a phrase like "10% talent and 90% work make a genius", or something like that.

Pity he didn't make it to Paris Conservatory. Glad Quincy Jones did.

·
1,020 Posts
Oh BTW a big posthumous thank you to Charlie's Mom who fed him, washed his clothes etc (I suppose) during all these years he was concentrating on practicing, ultimately to our collective benefit. (and to the neighbors who put up with 11-15 hrs of alto practice).

Bless you forgotten heroes of history who do all the chores, so that geniuses can get to their business... (rare are the great men and women in history who have washed toilet bowls like Nelson Mandela did... for other reasons).

Also a great lesson on humility and "continuous learning".

Thanks again for the link!

·
39,230 Posts
Actually, it is Thomas Alva Edison who is credited ( but you know how these things go) to have said in Harper's Monthly that Genius is 1% and 99% perspiration
http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Thomas_Edison............. but many think it was Einstein

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
5,316 Posts
This is fantastic. Thank you for posting it CS.

·
1,020 Posts

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
That was very cool, thanks!

·
39,230 Posts
Thanks for correcting me! (my daughter was born in Edison, NJ)
:) both Edison and Einstein were geniuses so they probably thought the same about certain things

·
39,230 Posts
Genius is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration. Or something like that.
repetita iuvant............

·
Registered
108 Posts
At 3:00 parker sings the melody from Klose exercise number number 23 -one of my favorites- that just made my week.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'd always heard that he practiced for 11 to 15 hours a day but never actually heard it from bird himself. Never knew he practiced Klose either!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,630 Posts
I'd always heard that he practiced for 11 to 15 hours a day but never actually heard it from bird himself. Never knew he practiced Klose either!
My teacher told me as much, which is why I have to do them as well. And he (my teacher) practices his daily as well, you should see how worn out his copy is... doesn't even have the cover anymore.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts