Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Recently bought what looks to be a really old alto engraved 'Paul Cavour' Invicta
Does anyone have any information regarding this brand? :oops:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Paul cavour

hi,only ever seen one,it was pre war [ww2]Italian made good quality horn,by chance I have just aquired a trumpet from same maker [or distributor]

·
Registered
47 Posts
Hello,

I've come into possession of a Paul Cavour Invicta recently and was wondering if anyone has come across any new information on them? It’s an alto with the following on the bell:

INVICTA
Paul Cavour
MODEL
PARIS​

Thanks,

Ciarán

·
Registered
47 Posts
Would it help it I posted photos of the alto? Would that help in someone identifying it? An additional point is that the bell is not alligned to the central plane of the sax but at an angle. So, for example, you could read music to your right but the bell would still point to the front. Does this help?

I've spoken to my family and it seems that this has come into our possession somewhere between 1936 and 1965 :) And that is as much as anyone can tell me, so you can see where I'm starting from :(

Thanks,

Ciarán

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,385 Posts
Ciaran said:
Would it help it I posted photos of the alto?
Ciarán
Photos would be good. These turn up on eBay from time to time, but apart from the fact that Paul Cavour was Milan-based, I can't add anything to dr.jazz's comment. The fact that it's marked Paris suggests it's a stencil, so photos could help identify the maker. The info re the bell orientation rings a vague bell - have you checked SaxPics?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Here're some photos. Can anyone identify it? I've looked on saxpic but haven't found something similar yet but I'm still looking. It is possibly a Conn but I'd defer to other people's opinion. The serial number is 7xxx and is under the low C key. Any help appreciated.

Ciarán

·
Registered
47 Posts
stitch said:
Definitely not a Conn.
Why do you say that? Is it because of the lack of the Mercedes-Benz logo low C keyguard or something else? I was pouring over SaxPics last night but didn't find something exactly matching mine.

All help appreciated.

Ciarán

·
1,385 Posts
Ciaran said:
Why do you say that? Is it because of the lack of the Mercedes-Benz logo low C keyguard or something else?
Mainly that, yes. Plus no fingernail G# nor RTH. Also, as it's a minor Italian brand it seems much more likely that it's stencilled from a more local European maker rather than one of the US ones. Assuming it wasn't actually made by the Paul Cavour company (which according to Langwill's was mainly a brass seller), the PARIS on the bell suggests it's French. My guess would be Pierret, although the G# touch isn't a crescent. Does it have leaf-shaped feet to the guards? Is the serial number vertical? Does it have a microtuner?

·
Forum Contributor 2008/Distinguished SOTW Member
3,295 Posts
Bell brace is a much different angle than a conn. It kind of reminds me of a Model 22 (Selmer) oar some of their A. Sax horns.

·
Registered
47 Posts
stitch said:
Does it have leaf-shaped feet to the guards? Is the serial number vertical? Does it have a microtuner?
I think that it does have leaf-shaped feet, but I'll take a look tonight and put up a photo for you anyway.
The serial number is horizontal.
Can you explain what the microtuner is and where I can find it so I can tell if it does or not. I'm guessing that if I don't know it doesn't.

Thanks,

Ciarán

·
Registered
47 Posts
Ciaran said:
I think that it does have leaf-shaped feet, but I'll take a look tonight and put up a photo for you anyway.
Can you explain what the microtuner is and where I can find it so I can tell if it does or not. I'm guessing that if I don't know it doesn't.
Here the photo of the feet. Unfortunately they were resoldered on for some reason and whoever did it didn't do a good job.

And it doesn't have a microtuner. I've looked a the Model 22 (Selmer) and the Pierret and while there are a lot of similarities between the both of them there still are differences.

·
1,385 Posts
Ciaran said:
I've looked a the Model 22 (Selmer) and the Pierret and while there are a lot of similarities between the both of them there still are differences.
Yes, I think the Pierret feet are usually a bit more pointed. Looks like you're destined never to find out who made it!!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
stitch said:
Yes, I think the Pierret feet are usually a bit more pointed. Looks like you're destined never to find out who made it!!!
Maybe, thanks for your help anyway.
There was a four year gap between the first and third post so maybe something will turn up soon.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hi I've just purchased a Paul Cavour Invicta model Tenor sax it says foreign ( not Paris ) on it, serial number 7xx2
I was told it was made in the 1930's but can't find anything on the net about it
Plays beautifully & came with old Selmer mouthpiece & blue & black croc case with brass fittings
Would be grateful if anyone out there has any info on the instrument

·
Registered
4 Posts
Firstly the Paul Cavour 1930s alto sax is definitely a stencil of a pierett pro horn. I bought one from a dealer friend in London and paid approximately $350 for it. I previously bought one 3 tears ago from Paris and it cost me then approximately $500. They were with in very good condition. I hope this helps. Oh one final thing! A Paul cavour 1930s tenor which was also a stencil made by pierett sold in a London auction for $1300 earlier this year. :)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,646 Posts
Interesting info, I know Cavour is also a name which appears on other horns as well. This is a very old thread, and the pics are now gone, but it's hard to say whether the original horn in question was one or not. Dunno about the Invictus subtitle....

Funny info, Tomangus...since Pierrets rarely go for over $1000 even if they are engraved Pierret !!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
40,795 Posts
Hi I've just purchased a Paul Cavour Invicta model Tenor sax it says foreign ( not Paris ) on it, serial number 7xx2
I was told it was made in the 1930's but can't find anything on the net about it
Plays beautifully & came with old Selmer mouthpiece & blue & black croc case with brass fittings
Would be grateful if anyone out there has any info on the instrument
again (like in the other thread where you posted today), you need to publish pictures, you cannot expect people to identify saxophones without them

1 - 20 of 20 Posts