Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm buying an Eb clarinet. I'm fancying just getting the same spec RC Prestige
as my Bb. On the clarinet boards the RC Prestige seems to be very highly rated and I want a 442 horn ( the R13 is 440)

However any experience of the Patricola compared to Buffet? I won't have the opportunity to try before I buy as they are both special order here. Money isn't an issue but the Patricola is a lot less expensive.

Thanks

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,312 Posts
I have a Patricola eefer and a Buffet in D. So pretty close. Both are very good instruments. The Buffet might have a little richer tone but this could be due to the difference in Eb vs D. I'm very fond of my Patricola but if I already had a Bb Buffet I might be inclined to go with a Buffet eefer. Keep things in the family so to speak. My Bb sticks are Leblanc. As for blackwood vs. rosewood: the rosewood is prettier and supposedly produces a softer sound than the blackwood, which might be a good thing in an eefer. Blackwood is denser and harder than rosewood and is supposedly less prone to cracking. I have heard that rosewood requires frequent oiling.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The blackwood Patricola came this morning. I'm always apprehensive opening a box but what a beautiful horn...and really nicely presented and made with an excellent case. Very early Eb days for me but I am very impressed with Patricola. Howarth recommended the Patricola over the Buffet. I really like my RC Prestige Bb but this is a lovely instrument. Incidentally I got it from John Packers who provided terrific service and I will use them again.
I quite like having a Selmer bass, Buffet Bb and now a Patricola Eefer...maybe get a Leblanc paper clip next.

·
Banned
8,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I finally got around to playing my Patricola Eb. What a beautiful blow..particularly the lower register. I just got a Fobes piece. The Patricola seems to have less resistance than my Buffet RC and is really fun. It makes the Buffet feel like a machine. The upper register is a challenge but no worse than nino. The Eb has a really plaintive singing quality which is what first attracted me to it when I heard Paul Dunmall playing it with Robin Williamson..quite unique and distinctive.
I would be intrigued to try a soprano version of the Patricola now.

·
2,312 Posts
Sounds like your experience is similar to mine. I find the low register (chalumeau) on the Patricola to be really nice. Stronger and freer blowing than on my Bb sticks. Almost like a soprano sax. Clarion blows nice too with an easy response and lots of power without being too edgy. Altissimo is another matter. C# and higher starts to get a little shrieky. I'd probably do better up there if I used more of a classical set-up. Narrower tip piece with a harder reed. I use a fairly open Charles Bay piece. Good for jazz, maybe not so good for classical.

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,202 Posts
I've always used a 'classical' piece on my eefer.
Those little buggers are shrill enough without adding the insult of a jazz set up. :)

·
2,312 Posts
I can put up with a little screechiness in the altissimo (which I don't use much anyway) in order to get a fat sax-like sound in the rest of the range. I don't have any interest in playing classical music on the eefer.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts