Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
About just over 3-4 years ago I was a very enthusiastic listener of recorded jazz music and music of all kind (few hundred cd's in my house). Today I don't listen to music anymore, at all. I'm just tired of listening although I play a lot. I like to play my saxophones and piano almost daily, but listening to music doesn't feel the same anymore. When I was younger I felt that good music gave me energy, inspiration etc. but nowadays it just doesn't do the trick anymore. Is this just a period in my life or..? Anybody share this? Even a background music annoys me nowadays, few years ago it didn't matter. I think that there's so much good music I should listen to, to be able to develop as a player and as a musician, but..

-TH

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,799 Posts
funny you should say that, but I too own plenty of music on CD (and Vinyl for that matter) but yet hardly ever find a way to listen to it because of lack of time or perhaps even more than lack of time it's because I always want to do something else instead of just listen to the music. Partly has to do with not being able to listen to music while I work or while I'm reading.
I do love to load a pile of CD's with me when I drive, sometimes very long distance, a 1000Km drive gives me the chance to catch up with the music.

·
6,862 Posts
-TH said:
When I was younger I felt that good music gave me energy, inspiration etc. but nowadays it just doesn't do the trick anymore. Is this just a period in my life or..? Anybody share this? Even a background music annoys me nowadays, few years ago it didn't matter. I think that there's so much good music I should listen to, to be able to develop as a player and as a musician, but..-TH

Well...how old are you? When I was a late teen and in my early twenties I had an insatiable ear for recorded music (and for live shows too). I mean I even used to be able to sit and listen to several ECM records in a row;) . Now, not so much. I think this is pretty normal, and I don't think it's about the music exactly--more a case of the distractions and tensions of the rat race/wife/child etc. sort of piling and just making it harder to get "into" the music in the way I could in my salad days. Time's wicked chariot don't you know.

Rory

ps. Have you tried Fats Domino?

·
1,629 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
rleitch: Well, I'm 30 at the moment and the "rat race" is just about to begin (getting married this summer and our first child is on it's way) :D So even less time in the future to try to listen some music. Fortunately I have listened the "jazz classics" but no way I can master them myself. Maybe I'll have to try to make some free time every day to be able to listen some music and that way get it going..

·
Registered
280 Posts
-TH said:
About just over 3-4 years ago I was a very enthusiastic listener of recorded jazz music and music of all kind (few hundred cd's in my house). Today I don't listen to music anymore, at all. I'm just tired of listening although I play a lot. I like to play my saxophones and piano almost daily, but listening to music doesn't feel the same anymore. When I was younger I felt that good music gave me energy, inspiration etc. but nowadays it just doesn't do the trick anymore. Is this just a period in my life or..? Anybody share this? Even a background music annoys me nowadays, few years ago it didn't matter. I think that there's so much good music I should listen to, to be able to develop as a player and as a musician, but..

-TH
I think it's probably a period in your life...

·
Registered
121 Posts
yeah..you'll probably get busy for a while doing something else and then one day you'll hear something...and you go "man, that's BADASS i need to start listening to some music..."
and there's nothing wrong with taking a break from music for a while...sometimes it's necessary...

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
1,033 Posts
When our first kid arrived and was old enough to appreciate I played him a different album every day (from Jazz to HM to classical). 'Twas a joy to see the lad appreciating it.

·
Registered
4,525 Posts
Listening to music is like sex, if you have to force yourself to do it you shouldn't be doing it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts