Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yes it’s true. I have 3 S20 tenors, 2 Zephyr tenors, a Zephyr bari and 2 early KING sopranos... So almost out of the blue I decided, “I gotta have a Super 20 alto”. After a few days of obsessive searching, I found an early Eastlake with a silver neck for a good price.
I’m awaiting my newest “fix”...wondering if I should go to SaxAnon. :twisted:

·
Banned
652 Posts
Yes it’s true. I have 3 S20 tenors, 2 Zephyr tenors, a Zephyr bari and 2 early KING sopranos... So almost out of the blue I decided, “I gotta have a Super 20 alto”. After a few days of obsessive searching, I found an early Eastlake with a silver neck for a good price.
I am a gearhead as well, trying to break the habit. I love saxophones, sax gear, musical instruments in general. But the more I have, the less I practice, and I would trade all my extra horns and mouthpieces for better chops. So that's what I'm doing, or trying to do....get rid of my collection and collecting licks, patterns, solos, articulations and harmonizing abilities instead. That said, I have a 1935 Zephyr if you're interested...

·
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ow...That’s no fun! Me? the more horns I have, the more I practice...and gig.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
I am a gearhead as well, trying to break the habit. I love saxophones, sax gear, musical instruments in general. But the more I have, the less I practice, and I would trade all my extra horns and mouthpieces for better chops.
I agree with the sentiment, Sax Bum. But why is it that the more gear you have, the less you practice? I find that gear inspires me to practice more--especially new gear.

·
Banned
652 Posts
I agree with the sentiment, Sax Bum. But why is it that the more gear you have, the less you practice? I find that gear inspires me to practice more--especially new gear.
I play sax for a living, but I do not practice enough in my free time because I am continually in shop/buy/sell/trade/repair/discuss mode instead of shed mode.

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
You know what you're missing, don't you? A nice early Eastlake Cleveland. Then you can drive yourself crazy trying to figure out if the Cleveland sounds more like a Zep or an S20. I've got one.....only $600.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Its called Kingitis and is listed as personality disorder in the DSM V. Its specific to sax players who have an super appreciation, fascination and an incredible dedication to the last great American made saxophone. XAX you know that I too still suffer from this illness. But its ok bc they're tons of Super 20's out there lol I just picked up a late East Lake stamped USA serial 618,*** all brass model and its like brand new...literally lol warranty cards and all....I had to have a king fix and nothing else would do. So I salute you on getting your fix on.

·
1,679 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
View attachment 225974 Well this may be the final fix for my KINGitis. It’s a 450xxx Eastlake that is in cosmetically very nice condition. Modest “pant leg” lacquer wear on the bow/bell. It’s actually kind of a “3-tone” finish because the key cups have lighter tone lacquer so you get a dark gold tone body, yellow tone cups, silver neck and bright nickel touches and rods. It’s very playable but I will visit my tech soon to get his review and a p/c tuneup.

At first I thought I had a dog...wasn’t loud. no KING thing. couldn’t play it in tune...I was sorely depressed. :crybaby: Changed my reed and worked on my alto embouchure and ...much better but still, my other altos were blowin’ it away!

It came with what appears to be a box stock “late” OL SuperTonemaster 7 but no lig. On alto, I’ve always played vintage rubber/plastic mpcs so I didn’t even consider the “free” Link as a viable option. But out of desperation, I ordered a new Link ligature from WWBW and as soon as I put the OL on it, voila the KING awakened. I’ve been working with it for the past week or two and I gotta say this is the shiit! I’m sure there’s a better alto out there (and you may well have it) but...I don’t need it!:cool:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts