Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
389 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This isn't about whether you should or should not use patches on your mpc. Rather its about installing one. It may seem an infinitesimally small thing to consider, but I got to wondering about it when I made a patch from rubber tire tube patches. Seems to me that the patch should cover the entire surface left to right, and should be stuck on even with the tip.

Most patches I've seen are over an inch in length but not as wide as say a tenor mpc. So here are a few questions; when installing one of those black rubber patches, does one match it to the tip of the piece, or a little back from the tip? Since the patch doesn't cover the top side to side, and if the patch is installed back from the tip, would it not affect the air stream?

The embrochure is suppose to "seal" the piece and the airstream is supposed to be uninterrupted. So wouldn't the gaps between the top and sides of the mpc and top of the patch interrupt the flow? Leak? Sure, this is a tiny, perhaps minuscule nit pick, but there are discussions here about even smaller "problems" saxophonists are concerned about.

I guess the short question is - does the use of a patch cause airflow or sound?

·
Registered
260 Posts
You put the patch on alittle bit back off the tip, not flush with the tip, just like you wouldn't want it flush with the sides of the mouthpiece.

You're correct about your lips sealing around the mouthpiece over the patch, so leaks should not be that big of a deal.

I prefer the harder and thinner (clear) patches versus the softer and thicker (black) patches.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts