Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just going through a few boxes of my uncles old reel-to-reel/Hi-Fi gear and I came across this L&H alto mouthpiece. Wondering if anyone may have any experience using one of these? Decent condition considering age.
I found the matching L&H Makers Chicago alto sax that it belongs to in the box next to it but I think these old white pads are original to the sax, so there's no way I'm going to be able to try out the mouthpiece or horn.
"Lyon & Healy" in an oval/circle on the body with "PAT. July 19th 1921" at the very bottom base.
I stick with tenor generally, so I'm wondering what to do with this rig......

FYI, the most surprising thing about this find was the lovely work that went into the beveled tone holes on the sax...

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Bruce,
I've read quite a few of your responses in previous L&H threads and they've always been very informative. There is nothing at all about Courterier anywhere at all on the mpc nor sax. I'm grabbing my camera now so give me a few moments to load up a photo.....The only writing anywhere is "Lyon & Healy Makers Chicago USA" on the bell. "A 171XX L" below the R thumb rest in back.

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hopefully this works.... I've read quite a few conflicting statements on whether these were made by L&H, Buescher, Martin or Conn..... WTH?

Also, It may be because I'm used to my favorite 2 vintage hard rubber tenor mpc's, but I do not recall seeing an alloy/metal liner inside of the mpc like this L&H alto mpc has.

Attachments

·
Registered
697 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm surprised by that! I know that you and LaPort have an interest in these, so if you need me to take some proper photos for your L&H catalogs just let me know and I'll do a better job.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Did you ever figure out what this mouthpiece was? I believe I have the same or similar one and haven't had any luck identifying it. I posted a new thread with a picture of it, and then found this one.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.