Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2016
14,750 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just been reading some old posts about Brancher Sax's. I must admit I've never heard of them just the mouthpieces. What happened to them? does anyone know? Thanks folks.

·
Out of Office
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,105 Posts
I've just been reading some old posts about Brancher Sax's. I must admit I've never heard of them just the mouthpieces. What happened to them? does anyone know? Thanks folks.
They are still around, I just played a couple at Namm. Very nice saxophones.

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
I played them some days ago on the music fair in frankfurt....great horns!
Did you also try his mouthpieces? Probably among the most underrated mouthpieces and and at prices that make it difficult to understand those of some of the expensive boutique pieces.

·
Out of Office
30,105 Posts
Hi Pete,
unfortunately not, but i have one of his hard rubber mpc for bari. It's also great!
While I was at Namm, one of the exhibitor's was asking me to demo many different mouthpiece for him, he was most knocked out by the Branchers. The wooden ones are really something else. I know Andy Farber here speaks very highly of them, I am very puzzled why they are not more popular.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2013
7,356 Posts
I tried some Brancher Pieces some years ago. If I was a better player then I probably would have appreciated them more. I just seem to remember them being pretty flat in terms of EQ. Which can be a good thing or a bad thing. They were very even in scale and the tone was medium bright and full. But not as much mojo as I like. I tried 3 or 4 different ones with a few different reeds. I'd certainly be interested in trying one again.

In the same session I tried out some Zagar pieces and found they had a similar vibe. Little differences here and there though between the various models.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,767 Posts
I haven't played any Brancher saxophones. I have several Brancher mouthpieces which are okay but not great. The one exception being a Brancher L21 alto mouthpiece which is outstanding on all of my altos. I've had that piece for almost 18 years and it's my go-to alto mouthpiece for most gigs. I have a L-chamber rubber and wooden piece for tenor that I think could be good but the facings need to be tweaked. The baritone L-chamber is too bright and edgy for my taste. I'd probably love it if it had an even larger chamber.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts