Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As the title suggests there are many saxophones sold by vendors of off shore Asian saxophones---usually Taiwanese or Vietnamese who do not furnish repair parts or divulge the name of the factory that produced the instrument.

This creates the situation that when one of these instruments shows up at the repair shop needing a part, the tech needs to find one that fits or make one out of another part or from scratch.

I would like to start an ongoing thread which gathers other tech's hand's on experience with what readily available parts (Yamaha, Jupiter etc. ) work on the "anonymous" saxes with the vendor's name engraved on the bell. No offense to anyone, but "first hand experience" is best. Comments like, "I think I read or heard somewhere that Jupiter key guards fit on 'Brand du Jour' saxophones" are often difficult to confirm, and can end up being costly if they turn out to be untrue.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts
As the title suggests there are many saxophones sold by vendors of off shore Asian saxophones---usually Taiwanese or Vietnamese who do not furnish repair parts or divulge the name of the factory that produced the instrument.

This creates the situation that when one of these instruments shows up at the repair shop needing a part, the tech needs to find one that fits or make one out of another part or from scratch.

I would like to start an ongoing thread which gathers other tech's hand's on experience with what readily available parts (Yamaha, Jupiter etc. ) work on the "anonymous" saxes with the vendor's name engraved on the bell. No offense to anyone, but "first hand experience" is best. Comments like, "I think I read or heard somewhere that Jupiter key guards fit on 'Brand du Jour' saxophones" are often difficult to confirm, and can end up being costly if they turn out to be untrue.

I get the impression from some folk that all saxes coming from Taiwan are made by the mauriait factory, so get some Mauriat spares and they'll fit he.he

seriously though - Its a good idea. the next time I get anyhting in I'll check it against the Mauriat spares I keep in stock ( pseudo pivot screws/keyguard screws,lyre/neck reciever screws, abalone/pearls etc)

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
4,690 Posts
Does it matter where they are made or what there made from

I say this becuase even brand name instrument replacment parts dont fit most of the time. We modifiy them to fit the job at hand, I see no difference be they chinese / japanese / taiwanese as far as after market replacement parts to those supplied by reputable brand name companies. We modify to fit

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I disagree that name brand parts ordered from the manufacturer or a parts supplier like Allied "don't fit most of the time". They do fit most of the time. Occasionally a key hinge tube will need to be shortened or lengthened slightly to fit the distance between posts that can vary from instrument to instrument. That is to be expected.

Things such as key guards, clothing guards, key guard feet, even keys themselves sometimes can be taken from a different brand and be "made" to work, but they seldom look cosmetically like the original without a lot of work, which means added time and expense for the customer if they don't want the instrument to look like it has been patched together with different parts.

The purpose of this thread was to gather information about parts that are available from Yamaha, Selmer, Yanagisawa, etc. that work on the Taiwanese, and Vietnamese instruments that are copies of those name brand instrument. Its purpose was not to argue about whether replacement parts are needed or necessary. That topic has already been beaten to death in another thread.

·
4,690 Posts
Mmm, we will agree to dis-agree then.. regarding the remodification of brand name instrument after market parts, I can only state
ongoing thread which gathers other tech's hand's on experience with what readily available parts (Yamaha, Jupiter etc. ) .
this tech's hand's on experience

·
4,690 Posts
IThe purpose of this thread was to gather information about parts that are available from Yamaha, Selmer, Yanagisawa, etc. that work on the Taiwanese, and Vietnamese instruments that are copies of those name brand instrument.
Then its pretty well pointless in my opinion

My example, there are at least 400 plus no name brands being sold and distributed in australia that Im aware of, brand X is sold today, now lets take a yamaha F# key of a 275 sax, explain the process on how to modify and fit this part, now tommorrow, another sax from the same company " brand X " comes in but the process to fit F# is now different because brand X saxophone is not the same style as the one they ordered last week, they have found an alternative supplier of the saxes who makes them in a different configuration,the brand X is simply a logo nothing more nothing less.. hence the pointlessness of the process

You can order from these companies instruments in any configuration, did I mention I also have my brand name instrument supplied from these companies, I use them for my rental fleet

·
Distiguished SOTW Tech
1,545 Posts
I think that the concept of what parts are close enough to be fit/modified could be potentially helpful however this will depend on the skill set of the repairer. Face it, some repairers are very good at doing padding and key fitting but are not skilled in the art of making and or modifying parts. So, close enough to work for me might be miles away for someone else.

I'm doing one of these kind of repairs on an alto sax right now. It is American made too, not from the far east.

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
I would like to start an ongoing thread which gathers other tech's hand's on experience with what readily available parts (Yamaha, Jupiter etc. ) work on the "anonymous" saxes with the vendor's name engraved on the bell.
IMO the thing is, if those instruments are "anonymous" then how can you say a certain part will work on "them"? The name means nothing since it is random pretty much and even that brand might change the instrument they import. So if I'd say a Yamaha part works on brand X that is a Yamaha copy, this doesn't mean it will work on brand Y which is a Yamaha copy, or even another brand X Yamaha copy. If it did, then you could just get any Chinese/Taiwanese/Vietnamese Yamaha copy part and it would work on any other, probably for much cheaper than an actual Yamaha/Yangisawa/Selmer/etc. part. For some Chinese/Taiwanese/Vietnamese instruments that have a more established brand name behind them you could most likely get parts from the importer and/or seller.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
For some Chinese/Taiwanese/Vietnamese instruments that have a more established brand name behind them you could most likely get parts from the importer and/or seller.
This has not been the case in my experience, and is the root of the problem. Every "more established name brand" importer I have contacted about providing a list of available of parts and their prices, and how to order parts has either failed to reply or has given me a vague and evasive response.

If anyone has information about what parts are available from importers and sellers and how to order them that would be helpful in this thread as well.

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
You can order from these companies instruments in any configuration, did I mention I also have my brand name instrument supplied from these companies, I use them for my rental fleet
I didn't know that. Congratulations for having your very own brand name instrument. Now that you are on the "inside", I have some questions about things I have been curious about for a long time, if you don't mind sharing some information.

- Do you just have saxes, or do you also have other instruments?
- Can you tell us what factory(s) you are ordering from, and whether they supply you with repair and replacement parts as well?
- Also, are they set up to provide repair and replacement parts to anyone, or just to those people who order their instruments and have their name put on the instrument.
- Do they let you know the other "brand names" their instruments are being sold under besides yours?
- How does someone go about finding the contacts to start selling their own "line" of saxophones?
- How many do you have to order up front to have them put your name on them?
- Are you dealing directly with a specific factory each time you order or a "broker" who may fill your order with saxes from different factories depending upon demand?

Thanks for any information you can share.

·
4,690 Posts
Before I provide a limited response.

There is general repair conversation and then theres commercial aspects and implications. Example, you will notice Curt (music medic) does not tell you where he buys his pads from and so he shouldnt, same applies with all other commercial aspects. So I wont divulge the name of my supplier and or my brand, as these are my contacts and I operate on a commercial scale with them.

However I can tell you, you can buy direct from factories, just send them an email...however you usually need to order minimum of 100 for them to be interested in discussing with you, alternatively if its a supply of 10 or so then there are brokers that are imbetween people who go and place your order with your engraving amongst other orders to meet the factory requirements.

Usually if you use a broker you get whatever he can negotiate for you, remember he has to go by the same rules the factorys operate by, he merely collects a group of private orders and makes up a factory order, this is where say you have a brand X sax that in a months time the same brand of sax looks and plays differemtly, the person has used a broker to procure instruments with there brand on it, buit have not specified a specific facxtory or been given that option. Hence almost impossible for a line of spare parts.

No they are not setup to supply spare parts with the instruments, if you wanted spare parts for your run of instruments then you would have to specially negotitate this request to the factory

I have my branded sax's/flutes/clarinets/trumpets /trombones. These are not for sale but are used solely for my rental fleet to schools that I look after direct

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,982 Posts
This has not been the case in my experience, and is the root of the problem. Every "more established name brand" importer I have contacted about providing a list of available of parts and their prices, and how to order parts has either failed to reply or has given me a vague and evasive response.
Maybe the customer who owns the instrument contact them too to ask about getting the needed part. AFAIK some importers provide parts for the instruments they sell, if needed (for example I had a good impression from Bauhaus Walstein).

I still think it's tricky. The instruments are too "unknown" to really mean much. If I said I found a Jupiter part to work on a local Asian model called Dolnet this probably won't help anyone. It won't even help me if I see one of the Dolnets that actually look different than this one (which I have). BTW yes there's a local Asian sax called Dolnet, nothing to do with the old French made model.

How does someone go about finding the contacts to start selling their own "line" of saxophones?
One way is to go to one of the exhibitions like Musikmesse, NAMM or Music China, where you can check and play many instruments.

Often you an order one or two as a sample so you can check the instruments. Maybe you will be interested in ordering a couple of different copies and check what will fit and what won't. You could use them for parts later too. Might be much cheaper than stocking e.g. Selmer Paris parts that happen to fit a certain Asian model.

·
Grafton alto | Martin Comm III tenor
28,904 Posts
Might be much cheaper than stocking e.g. Selmer Paris parts that happen to fit a certain Asian model.
Might be cheaper than stocking Selmer Paris parts to use on Selmer Paris saxophones ;)

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
1,863 Posts

If anyone has information about what parts are available from importers and sellers and how to order them that would be helpful in this thread as well.
Purely Asian horns - I get my Mauriat spares direct from the distributor in the UK
Yamaha direct from Yamaha Europe and Yanigasawa spares from the Distributor in the UK.

As an aside - the worst spares backup system I have experienced is from Selmer Paris via their distributors in the UK Vincent Bach. I have waited 7 months for a simple off the shelf part, I supplied the original manufacturers part number. In the end I made the part on the lathe.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
"anonymous" saxes with the vendor's name engraved on the bell.
jbtsax i get the distinct impression this may be be leading to a "Barone bashing session" after all you did get into quite an argument the other day with him, dident you? and really for no reason.
Just hope it doesent get as messy as that Steve Goodson thing:bluewink:

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
jbtsax i get the distinct impression this may be be leading to a "Barone bashing session" after all you did get into quite an argument the other day with him, dident you? and really for no reason.
Just hope it doesent get as messy as that Steve Goodson thing:bluewink:
Please don't interject anything into this thread that does not exist in terms of a motive to "bash" any individual vendor or vendors. There happen to be dozens of brands of saxophones from Taiwan sold by Vendors who:

1. Don't disclose the company or factory which made the saxophone.
2. Don't make replacement parts readily available to members of the repair trade like the "established" name brands do.

The purpose of this thread is to gather information from other techs about which pivot screws, guard screws, key guards, clothes guards, bumper adjusting screws, G#/F# regulation adjusting screws, etc., etc., they have found that work on any of these "branded" instruments---nothing more, nothing less.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician.
1,530 Posts
I end up making screws * rods for asian horns, its no big deal really but it would be nice to just be able to source them quickly. I do keep alot of parts in stock but when you do woodwinds & brass that ends up costing thousands of dollars......

1 - 20 of 34 Posts