Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all
I’m about to purchase this, primarily to build vocabulary. I play Tenor. Should I get the alto version so it falls under the fingers like it did for bird? Or tenor so I’m in the ‘right’ key? Actually I’ll Probably get both, so which would be my first choice for my desired purpose? Cheers

·
Forum Contributor 2015-2017
3,187 Posts
Dood. Listen to you. It is the Bird book. Right?

Do the right thing.

And I am *such* a tenor player too.

dat
sax
man

·
Registered
517 Posts
I like to play Parker material on alto so I can hear it and play it the way Bird heard it and played it. I also like to play my favorite Tenor players material on my Tenor sax to channel what I like about their sound and choice of notes on a particular instrument. After that I transpose if necessary.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
This was always a challenge for me in high school and college. My final decision was Bb omnibook so that I could play the melodies at gigs and jam sessions without making others transpose. Then I play through the solos in the Eb omnibook to learn about bird’s soloing, because it just lays on the horn extremely well. Solos that just flew under the fingers turned into complicated finger studies in Bb. In my mind, Bird language only lays in the key he played it, and some others that transpose nicely.

So get both books. Be able to play the melodies in the right key, and learn the jazz language how he played it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts