Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
32,927 Posts
Yippee! But it will still be too high for me to ever buy another new Selmer.

That’s gotta give some heartburn to anyone that has purchased a new Selmer at retail prices in the last few years. Ouch.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,578 Posts
A rare instance of savings due to reduced labor costs being passed along to the consumer.
Maybe they realize they've been losing market share to Taiwanese horns the last decade and they need to compete.

·
Registered
246 Posts
They’re coming out with a new line of pro-instruments to replace the current stock which will be beaucoup bucks compared to their SA80III/III and Ref54/36 so that there is more of a price gap between Seles and HSP. This may be just a blowout sale for their current inventory and the models that will be in production until the new line comes out. Part of the company was just sold off to some angel investment firm, probably to help purchase the new tooling. The new line is supposed to have heightened focus on intonation.

Purchased a Ref54 in 2011 for $6800 new, which is the price reflected in Kessler’s website currently - so it’s not that dramatic of a price reduction anyway.

·
Registered
55 Posts
From a branding standpoint it's almost always better to increase margins to dealers and let them discount from a higher MSRP, but the net result to the consumer is the same if buying new. I'll be curious to see the new line, but I don't know how much of a driving focus intonation will be on someone's decision to purchase a Selmer. In a side comment, I believe the esteem with which at least the Series lines will be seen will dramatically increase once no longer current production horns.

·
TENOR, soprano, alto, baritone
7,398 Posts
If they drop the SIII tenor and don't replace with something similar (MK VI-pattern neck) they will be doing the same thing they did in 1974.

·
Registered
246 Posts
https://www.google.com/amp/s/mobile.reuters.com/article/amp/idUSKBN1F62AT

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=t5pu_8m343w

Here are my sources for speculation. The interview with M. Jerome details their ambitions for their next line. The Reuters article seems to hint at furthering their presence in Asia, as well as purchasing new equipment to speed up processes. All of this makes me wonder if the company is going in a less “hand-made” direction with more complicated machinery. We know they have expressed interest in machine engraving in the past...

·
Registered
65 Posts
I wonder if this is just them updating their prices in the American market to match that of the international market. An Axos at WWBW or Kessler costs ~$3200, and why would anyone pay that when you can get the same thing from Sax.co.uk for ~$2400?

·
Registered
5,240 Posts
Re: Paris Selmer LOWERS PRICES on its saxophones

I wonder if this is just them updating their prices in the American market to match that of the international market.
I suspect that this may be the case. Perhaps not "match" the international prices, but at least bring the U.S. prices closer. I don't see anything about this announcement on the sax.co.uk website. The dateline for the Selmer press release is Elkhart, Indiana, indicating a domestic initiative.

Can this thread be moved to the Selmer Paris subforum? There are many other threads there to which this one is related.

·
Registered
5,240 Posts

They’re coming out with a new line of pro-instruments to replace the current stock which will be beaucoup bucks compared to their SA80III/III and Ref54/36 so that there is more of a price gap between Seles and HSP. This may be just a blowout sale for their current inventory and the models that will be in production until the new line comes out.
. . . Here are my sources for speculation.
I don't get it. Is your first post, about an imminent new Selmer line, a statement of fact, or a guess?

·
Registered
246 Posts

I don't get it. Is your first post, about an imminent new Selmer line, a statement of fact, or a guess?
New line is imminent, whether it affects the price change is pure speculation. If that helps.

·
Forum Contributor 2015-17
1,888 Posts
Maybe they realize they've been losing market share to Taiwanese horns the last decade and they need to compete.
Not to mention that they are also losing market share to Japanese horns that are as good if not superior, and have been for decades.

·
Registered
3,073 Posts
I am at my local music store and asked the prices. They had no idea about this. But yeah, the series II and Reference were about $1,000 cheaper than I remembered.

I came here to post and see if others who have a much better idea of the prices saw the same thing.
I had also saved Kessler’s Reference price on my phone a few months back at $7,959. The reference at my local store was $6,800!

Anyone else seeing this?

·
Registered
1,682 Posts
If they drop the SIII tenor and don't replace with something similar (MK VI-pattern neck) they will be doing the same thing they did in 1974.
When Selmer got bought we all assumed the PE firm would scrap the French production and start branding Asian horns with the Selmer Paris logo. Maybe that time is here? I wonder if they will include a free pair of white gloves with the horn?

·
823 Posts
I am at my local music store and asked the prices. They had no idea about this. But yeah, the series II and Reference were about $1,000 cheaper than I remembered.

I came here to post and see if others who have a much better idea of the prices saw the same thing.
I had also saved Kessler’s Reference price on my phone a few months back at $7,959. The reference at my local store was $6,800!

Anyone else seeing this?
I wonder if the retailer has to absorb the price decrease. When prices are rising, the retailers usually offer horns they already have in stock

at a lower price then the new higher price. Now apparently the prices have been reduced, the Selmer distributor must be offering compensation to the dealers that have retained higher priced inventory.

·
Registered
3,723 Posts
Maybe they are making the parts in Taiwan and assembling in Paris? How else do you cut cost these days?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
25,964 Posts
The irony is that the VII kept its market value. They even cost a bit more now than when they were new. Can't see that happening with any of the more recent offerings. Absent inflation going through the roof.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts