Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently own a 1936 Buescher custom built bari, it is in great condition but the neck is ultra small. My teacher and I seem to agree that its overall 'sharpness' is due to the short neck. As a result, and because I've read that it's ideal for classical saxophone, I'm looking into investing in the Paraschos wooden neck. It is offered in sizes fitting much more modern horns such as Selmer/Yamaha/Yani, but I'm wondering if one of these will fit my horn or is there is something I can do to make it fit. Basically, will this neck work? Don't hesitate to ask me for additional information! Thank you

·
Registered
194 Posts
Is it one of the Bueschers with the octave key on the neck? If yes, then no. You can ask Paraschos if they could make a custom one, but there's no guarantee there. I believe there's a Dutch company that makes copies of the old Buescher necks, but I can't remember the name.

·
Registered
772 Posts
Assuming that the bari we are discussing is similar to these two:

http://www.barnardrepair.com/barito...er-custombuilt-extremely-rare-baritone-274xxx

http://www.barnardrepair.com/barito...custombuilt-extremely-rare-baritone-274xxx-02

The problem is not with the length of the neck. Yes the neck is short, but Buescher modified the entire upper wrap and in the process created a design that is far better than other designs of the time (like the Conns that Aaron has for sale right now.) The two biggest advantages are 1) the upper octave pip is on the body not the neck. 2) the top of the neck sits even with the upper bow which makes it easier to read music.

I have played both of the horns shown above. Intonation was excellent. Truly excellent.

Which notes are "sharp"? If it is the whole horn, can this be adjusted by pulling the mouthpiece out? Does your teacher have the same issues? If your mouthpiece is at the end of the neck, you need a mouthpiece with a longer shank and possibly larger chamber, not a longer neck. This issue has been discussed in relation to the Conn 12M many times. When I play tested the Bueschers shown above, I was able to play in tune with my Morgan Vintage. I was not able to play the Conns in tune with the Morgan because the shank was too short. I had to switch to an Otto Link Tone Edge modified by Eric Grieffenhagen.

(Note the custom built was better than the Conn in every respect, but I did not have the money for one and had to "settle" for a post war Conn which is still great.)

Assuming that your neck is original and undamaged, I suspect that this is a horn/mouthpiece mismatch, regulation issues, or technique.

Talk to Maddenma or Paulwl. Both of these guys know vintage American horns and Bueschers in particular very well.

·
Registered
772 Posts
I've said this before (maybe not on this site), I really don't understand why Gerry Mulligan played a Conn Transitional when he could have had a Buescher Custom Built. They really are great horns.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts