Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, recently I heard Paquito playing alto sax and I really like his sound, any good suggestions of specific albums (or songs) where he plays a lot of alto? Thanks
-Will

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
Havana Cafe is a beautiful album top to bottom. I really should know more of his work he's an incredible player and hs clarinet playing is ridiculously good too.

I'm sure there's a bunch of other great picks out there, waiting for others to chime in...

·
Registered
923 Posts
Miami Burn , ... I have several of his CDs but the problem is I can't find them (moved). But every CD of his that I have has him playing sax on most songs, clarinet on a few. One of my favorite songs of his is "Just Kidding". AWESOME!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,321 Posts
Just kidding is on YouTube. That whole album explosion is amazing. Good luck getting it on CD...about 200 dollars. I have the LP.

·
Registered
641 Posts
It all starts with the Cuban band Irakere, from the early/mid-70s:

Irakere's jazz legacy Paquito D'Rivera defected to the United States in 1980, and Arturo Sandoval followed a decade later. Both musicians have commented on the joy they felt, at being able to finally pursue jazz careers in the United States, and the honor of playing alongside their jazz heroes. As is typical of Cuban jazz musicians who defect to the U.S., their jazz playing fully matured when they moved to the country where jazz was born. As time went on, D'Rivera began looking back, and gained a deeper appreciation for the music of his first home. In 1994 he stated that he fell in love with Cuban music again on the shores of the Hudson River. Since he left Cuba, D'Rivera has recorded several albums with Cuban themes, including La Habana-Rio Conexión (1992), 40 Years of Cuban Jam Session (1994), Habanera Absolute Ensemble (1999), and Tropicana Nights (1999). Sandoval, who was once threatened with imprisonment by the Cuban government for listening to American jazz on the radio, has recorded albums of both straight-ahead jazz, and jazz with a strong Cuban influence. Chucho Valdés has also pursued a successful jazz career, recording for the prestigious Blue Note jazz label.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Irakere

1 - 6 of 6 Posts