Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I have been listening to a lot of this guy lately, and I readthat he uses a Selmer Metal F. But does he play the Selmer Classic Metal or the Selmer Jazz Metal? How long have the jazz models been around, he goes on to say that he has been using it for years so that makes me think that it is the classic. Anybody Know for sure? Thanks.

~Zach

·
Registered
160 Posts
dont know if this helps at all... www.du.edu/lamont/mpce.html

i've got a best of CD of his and it looks like he's got it on his sax there and although it was released quite recently he looks quite a bit younger in the photos so i thought they could b from a while ago. always assumed he'd been using the same piece for ages.

Paquito is one of my favourites. i didn't like his alto sound at first but after a while i began really diggin it. I've been impressed with the variety of his sound, from one CD to the next there are differences, although he always sounds like himself, almost as if his sound changes with his mood!!!!!!!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,960 Posts
its the jazz model. the jazz model works very well on alto and is a very durable mpc -could easy last one a lifetime.

·
Distinguished Member, Forum Contributor 2008-2017
2,234 Posts
He is awesome!

His altissimo still makes me wonder... I do not know if there is a recording of him going higher than G4, but he hits that note pretty often.

All the best,

JI

·
Registered
296 Posts
Michael Ward said:
These were fantastic alto pieces in the day. The ones for at least the last decade or two have been badly faced but the old ones were great.
Agreed, if you like a huge bright sound. I recently bought one, a new old stock from the 70's. It is a fine piece. I have a very good Berg 85/1m metal that I also use. It is probably form the 60's. The Berg actually seems to play a bit darker.

·
Registered
855 Posts
pth said:
Agreed, if you like a huge bright sound. I recently bought one, a new old stock from the 70's. It is a fine piece. ...
I'm glad you're diggin' it! I just wish I could find one in a smaller tip opening to replace it......

·
Forum Contributor 2008-2017
667 Posts
I bought Selmer metal Jazz E pieces in 1960 for both alto and tenor, and I still use them. So,they have been around at least since then.

--Sidepipes

·
Registered
238 Posts
I recently visited Michael Manning's shop in NYC. He does instrument repair, custom instrument building, and mouthpiece refacing and making. I asked him about Paquito's setup because I knew had done work for him in the past. He said that Paquito's old mouthpiece is a Selmer Classical Metal F. He said his new mouthpiece is a hard rubber replica of his old metal piece and that he (Manning) made it for him. This was confirmed when I saw Paquito in a master class and someone asked him about his setup. Manning said that he considered making more copies of Paquito's piece but didn't. He said Paquito gets a certain sound on this piece because he is a clarinetist and other saxophonists wouldn't get that sound because they would approach it more like a saxophonist. Both Paquito and Manning are great guys. If you get a chance to see Paquito play or have Manning work on your horn/mouthpiece, do it!!!

·
Banned
1,921 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
bari_saxxy said:
I recently visited Michael Manning's shop in NYC. He does instrument repair, custom instrument building, and mouthpiece refacing and making. I asked him about Paquito's setup because I knew had done work for him in the past. He said that Paquito's old mouthpiece is a Selmer Classical Metal F. He said his new mouthpiece is a hard rubber replica of his old metal piece and that he (Manning) made it for him. This was confirmed when I saw Paquito in a master class and someone asked him about his setup. Manning said that he considered making more copies of Paquito's piece but didn't. He said Paquito gets a certain sound on this piece because he is a clarinetist and other saxophonists wouldn't get that sound because they would approach it more like a saxophonist. Both Paquito and Manning are great guys. If you get a chance to see Paquito play or have Manning work on your horn/mouthpiece, do it!!!
Thanks for the info! I wonder why he made the switch, if it's just the same mouthpiece? Perhaps he likes the material better. Interesting point about how he gets his sound, I never really thought about that.

·
Distinguished SOTW Columnist / Forum Contributor 2
4,202 Posts
I know in March Phil Woods was seeing if he could track down a Selmer hard rubber E for Paquito per a forum post at philwoods.com.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts