Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, saxo-friends:

Here's a quick note to let you know that all saxophone quartet music on HirschMusic.com is iPad Ready.

When you purchase PDF downloads, the files you receive are all set to send to your tablet's PDF Music Organizer (ForScore, anyone?). And with a couple quick clicks, you can email the necessary parts to your quartet-mates for their tablets, too.

Wanna try it out? Here's a special promo code for my fellow Sax-on-the-Webbers only, good until Christmas for a 15% discount on anything your order: SOTW1214 (use it at checkout).

Browse the catalog here: www.HirschMusic.com

Warmest holiday wishes,
~ Rick

View attachment 61548

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
33,235 Posts
Now all I need is an iPad the size of a Manhasset music stand.

That's progress in the forward direction, tho'. Thank you!

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I was saying the same thing when I got my iPad. It's fine for jazz charts but for classical piano, it is a bit small. Not too bad with opera vocal scores which are not much bigger in paper.

I did see a company with a full sized tablet but can't recall who/what/where. It should happen sometime soon.

Thanks for the idea for the organizer. I've been using Acrobat reader which is ok. Calypso for the jazz fake books is too sluggish with a full load of books.

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
This all begs the question - how did we end up with 8.5 x 11 (or A4) anyway? Most printed music, and all the show music I used to read is on 9x12. The iPad is too small - and it gets smaller every year LOL.

·
Registered
461 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, the iPad is small for a music reading tablet.

The next wave of music reading apps will need to have some sort of universal font that is scalable, so people like us with old eyes can read at an enlarged size - like we might when reading an ebook on a Kindle. Of course, this will require that the music can have some sort of reflow of measures: a larger font will permit fewer measures on a system and fewer systems on a page.

Perhaps a stop-gap measure would be for publishers (like HirschMusic) to produce PDFs that are sized for the iPad: using a larger font, fewer measures per system, fewer systems per page...

Rick

·
Registered
418 Posts
I think the iPad (9.7", not the mini)is fine for reading single part charts. I haven't performed a musical on one yet, but all of my wedding band stuff lives on my iPad and works well. Fewer measures per page would require a foot pedal page flipper.

ForScore does a great job zooming and cropping, but if it's a tight font sometimes those are some blurred lines.

It would be great to have a universal format that would allow an app to resize notes/measures. Sometimes I find there's too much room, and too many pages with horrible page turns. But in don't see the big publishers playing nice for our benefit any time soon.

Maybe someday we'll get the mythical 12" iPad. I'm sure some company does either a Windows or Android 12", but is there a good app for music?

But kudos to Rick for providing this option.

Sent from my iDevice using Tapatalk. Please excuse typos and brevity.

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm using an android tablet for my wedding band, rock band, and jazz gigs(real books for songs I don't have memorized) (haven't had time to scan in my big band books yet). I use MobileSheets, which is OK... It's certainly not as feature rich as some of the iOS alternatives, but it does a really nice job for what I use it for. I know others in the wedding band game that use android tablets (don't think I've met anyone using a Win tablet yet), including one gentleman that uses a 12" tablet.

I do have to agree that most of the 9" tablet offerings appear small at first, but I feel the back-lighting of the screen helps enhance the font to make it clearer for you to see (however not to the point where it's just as good as a 8.5x11 sheet). Of course this is all relative and based on the individual. I think squeezing technical music on a page of a 9" tablet would be a chore/headache to read.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts