Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm on the verge of purchasing a 1955 (354,XXX) era King Zephyr but it's missing the triangular pants guard. The seller tells me that many professionals purposefully remove the pants guard on the zephyr and super 20 because it gets in the way. I did notice another similar vintage zephyr tenor on junkdude's for sale list that is also missing the pants guard. Maybe there is something to this theory. I wonder how badly this would hurt the resale value of such a horn. BTW he says the horn is an absolute killer sounding horn.

Oh, he also attributes a large missing laquer patch to a former pro player resting the horn on his knee during gigs (while listening to others solo?) which wore off the laquer there. What else could explaing the missing patch of lacquer on the bell - its not in a place where one would need to solder. I am always little on guard when buying from ebay.

·
Registered
656 Posts
What would the pants guard get in the way of??? Never had that problem with my Super 20. I think any missing parts would tend to lower the market value for a prospective purchaser - nothing beats original, pristine condition.

Gotta hear the killer sound first before you pay extra for that sound. I have also heard the same story about the worn lacquer - must have been owned by a section player in a large band.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
I'm looking for one for my zep tenor too.
I think guys took them off to put on their S20s.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2012
7,216 Posts
Mike Barnes, forum member MikeyB .. great guy too

saxstuff.co.uk

King Super 20 and Zephyr guards, brass end plugs, etc

1 - 4 of 4 Posts