Sax on the Web Forum banner
421 - 429 of 429 Posts

· Fan Of Pan Am
423 Posts
Discussion Starter · #421 ·
Hi, Mk-Hmmr

Yes, Pan American had many serial systems:
1) Brass, excludes trombones from 1925 - 1942.
2) Trombones, 1925 - 1942
3) Saxes
4) Woodwinds
Cavalier
1) Brass, excludes trombones
2) Trombones
3) Saxes
4)Clarinets
International
1) Brass
2) Saxes were includes in regular Pan American.

· Registered
3,856 Posts
Hi Pontius,

If you provide measurements, that would be helpful. So far no one has been able to supply specs and the literature I have does not often include: 1) Bell Diameter, 2) bore at neck, 3) overall height with and without neck. 4) Tube thickness, 5) diameters at bell bow in and out.

Also, If you could provide the complete serial number and maybe a couple of pictures, that would help the research.

Thanks!
Kurt

btw - I am very close to having the volume of registrations to update the current sax and brass serial systems to something more definitive. I am also near the volumes to include an initial systems for Pan Am woodwinds, trombones, the 1931 - 1942 Cavalier line and possibly the 1920's International line.
I 'll get this thing torn down for overhaul (hopefully within the next couple months). At that point I will contact you so you can describe in more detail the measurements you would like. In the meantime, here are a couple pictures of the Continental Colonial beside the '32 transitional Conn (Chu). You can see the keywork is very similar. The main differences are bell keys, G# trill, forked Eb, spatula key touch shape. The Colonial does seem to have improved keytouch placement/spacing, especially the upper stack. The bis key location is way better.
Musical instrument Brass instrument Light Wind instrument Music
Musical instrument Photograph Light Reed instrument Wind instrument

· Registered
1 Posts
I just got a Wurlitzer American with a Dec 8 1914 patent and a P8xxx serial. It's purported to be from 1922. I paid way too much I think. Guy said it plays great. I got to get it fixed already cuz the alternate b key doesn't seal. Hopefully cork will do it.

Does anyone have any info on these Pan American stencils?

· Registered
2 Posts
I am totally new to this site. I have purchased a "Pan American" Alto [L] Saxophone from Goodwill industries on line. It has not arrived at my home but, I wanted to introduce myself and see if I could get info on this horn? I understand the older Saxophones had less bells and whistles. I know nothing about my Saxophone. From this site I think the serial puts it in 1928. One reason why I purchased it was because of the serial number. It is dyslexic. [36563] It looked a lot better than a lot of Saxophones I have seen. Ok so the pictures are from Goodwill. I tried to include everything. I am 59 and my first High School Music teacher wanted me to be in a Trumpet, Cornet or a Saxophone. My parents did not have the money to do that. My father passed 1-14-21 who was 85 and I am a 24/7 care giver for my mom who is 89 with dementia. The teacher I had in High School played in the Ziegfield Follies as a young lady and could play any instrument. She was a very gifted person and a wonderful friend.

Musical instrument Engineering Art Event Automotive tire

Musical instrument Automotive exhaust Wind instrument Metal Auto part
Musical instrument Wind instrument Natural material Brass instrument Amber
Tire Automotive tire Tread Amber Cylinder
Musical instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Art Bell
Musical instrument Wind instrument Brass instrument Woodwind instrument Reed instrument

Musical instrument Reed instrument Brass instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument

· Registered
3,856 Posts
Pan American 66M Tenor stencil
Continental Colonial #53113. 1935 Split Bell
Silver Plate
Chu pinky table and forked Eb.

Neck fits and sounds good on my 1932 Transitional (less complex/rich/wide but more focused and punchy), It has a different geometry and pip location.
The horn is almost identical to my Transitional except for keyguards and keytouch location. The pearl size and location are closer to the 10m (especially the upper stack).
I am hoping to perform an overhaul this Winter. Got high hopes for this one!
Musical instrument Light Automotive exhaust Wind instrument Brass instrument
Musical instrument Wind instrument Woodwind instrument Automotive exhaust Reed instrument

Attachments

· Registered
3,856 Posts
I am confused about model overlap for given serial # and year of manufacture. For instance, is the 46M tenor the same as the 66M tenor aside from one being stenciled with another brand as apposed to be Pan Amercan branded?

Then there is the 96M cavalier,..... same horn essentially?

421 - 429 of 429 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.