Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Forum Contributor 2013-2017
747 Posts
Badenia, thanks for undertaking a really worth-while project, and thanks Jaye for your contributions. Would you be interested in my Stratford curved soprano, serial #P19899? I've always assumed it's a Conn stencil, but reading your post above, am I right to say that this is actually a product of the Pan-American factory? I can send or post photos, if wanted.

Regards and all the best,
Kenneth

747 Posts
Kenneth,
Thanks! yes pictures would help of the bell stencil and the serial number area. Also answers to these questions:
1) Is it Bb or C
2) Straight or curved?
3) Silver or brass colored (may be answered by pictures)

best regards,
Kurt
Kurt, apologies for not posting sooner. Here are the photos requested. I've also thrown in one of the compatriots together.

Again, thanks for doing all the leg-work.

Kenneth

747 Posts
Thanks Kennith. Looks like you are building a set!! You have a 46M Soprano that is likely to date between 1920 and 1925.
Good to know, I had assumed it was a Conn stencil from around 1922. So am I right in saying that this is NOT a Conn stencil, but a "true" Pan-American horn?

Despite the Conn investment in Pan American, should we now assume that there really is no such thing as a Conn stencil Pan American, but that Pan American made their own horns (possibly, or probably) based on Conn body tubes and technology (shared drawn tone hole patent number)? If so, wow, man, revolutionary!

This leads me to ask -- so what are the physical differences between the 46M and its 4M Conn contemporary, apart from the RTH and perhaps the nail-file G# (although I've seen photos of 4Ms without this). BTW, Mine doesn't come with a lyre holder on the bell, but I think there was one originally, based on the impression under the relacquer.

Thanks,
Kenneth

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.