Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just purchased on Craigslist a Pan American saxophone with the serial number 155211. This saxophone is in need of a full repad as it seems that all pads are original to the saxophone. This horn plays well yet is externally in very poor condition. Is it worth it just to have a repad or a full overhaul? If I were to get a full overhaul with repad what would be the value on this saxophone? I paid $50 for this sax so is it worth it to have a full overhaul?

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
18,499 Posts
That is a late Pan Am, basically should be the exact same horn as the first Elkhart-made 14M Directors. In very good shape worth around $500. In OK playing/poor cosmetic shape (but no serious/significant dents) maybe $350ish.

Good horns...same body specs as a 6M. To get the best bang for your buck you could see if you can find a tech who can put $200-250 of work into it and get it better.

It is worthy of a repad, simply by virtue of it being a very good second-shelf Conn....but if your intent is to flip it, you would never recoup the cost of a repad/overhaul in reselling.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts