Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hadn't played tenor in many, many years until I tried some at a NASA regional meeting. I have small hands and was surprised how high the palm keys were on some of these horns. I guess the manufactures are trying to put the palm key riser sellers out of business.

But seriously, which of the newer instruments have palm keys of a more traditional height?

Thanks,

Gary

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,127 Posts
A friend of mine has a set of P. Mauriat's (S-A-T) and he thinks they're about right...and he has quite small hands.

·
Banned
593 Posts
i know a jupiter alto has much higher keys than my mk vi. it really makes it hard for a middle school student to not press them. i need to figure out getting them lowered.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
2,547 Posts
oops i see im in tenor here. i am curious to see how adjustable height keys adjust though
Here you go:

http://www.shwoodwind.co.uk/Reviews/Saxes/Alto/Keilwerth_sx90r_anniv_alto.htm

Third pic down.

There's a thread fitted to each touchpiece and a locking nut fitted to the key arm. When you slacken the locknut you're able to screw the touchpiece up or down to adjust both the height and the horizontal angle of the touchpiece - after which the locknut can be tightened up to secure it in position.

It's a neat idea in theory, but it can lead to excessive tweakery...and the constant fear that in spite of having spent many hours adjusting the touchpieces, you might still not have found the perfect position for them...

Regards,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
4,544 Posts
In my experience with modern horns, Yanagisawas have the lowest touchpieces and Yamahas have the highest. I have short fingers and large palms, and play Yamahas stock and Yanis with high risers. Both are just fine.

·
Distinguished SOTW Technician
3,112 Posts
Being used to Yamahas and having reasonably large hands I find the high D and F keys on SBAs and MkVIs too low for me, so I'd have to use risers if I were to play them. The high Eb keys never cause too much of a problem so I leave them as is.

I can often tell when a player has gone from Yamahas to Selmers as they have the high D key built up a lot. I've even cut'n'shut the palm keys on an SA80II tenor to make them feel more Yamaha-like at the player's request.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts