Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Just bought a new Reference 54 alto and it plays awesomely in every way, EXCEPT for the 3 palm keys. They are really hard to get! Altissimo is easy and smooth, mid range is easy, low notes are full and doesn't gurgle at all. Its just those 3 notes that are problematic. It is hard to explain what is happening but it feels as if something is blocking the hole and plays the octave below. I can get the notes if I play up to the note and do not stop the air flow, but is a bit sharp because of the tongue position required to get the note. Trying to play it ligato is almost impossible.

And i know its not the mouthpiece, or me because this happens on the mouthpiece it came with as well as the saxworks piece that i use...and this happens when i let someone else play on it. HOWEVER - I had the action lowered by 2 millimeters and this did imrove it slightly.

Any help would be great and i would be extremely grateful for it. My opinion is that there is something astray with the mechanics of the sax but exactly what part, i am unsure of.

Thanks, Ben

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,257 Posts
It may be something with the neck pip. Is it opening far enough and is the hole inside clean. Take the octave key off of the neck, clean out the hole (pipe cleaner) and see what happens.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bruce bailey i could kiss you right now haha! You are a right on the money. There was a little black cloth material embedded in there. Plays like a dream now. Let me just reiterate that you are a deadset legend.

·
Indistinguishable Resident Buescher Bigot and Foru
8,588 Posts
Rather not have that visual, but I'm glad it worked out for you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts