Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking of giving palm key risers a try. First and foremost, want to make sure I get a set that actually fit. Saw a few brands on ebay- Runyon, Protec, no name Chinese. Would appreciate any suggestions

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you that sugru is definitely something I want to try. Question-there seems to be an "original" formula, and a "family friendly" formula; any preference for either of the two formulas?

·
Registered
306 Posts
I have only used the original Sugru - I've never tried the "family friendly" formula. I guess that either will be fine.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
I doubt very much whether any pre-made risers will be shaped properly for the Conn keys - especially if you have the little round one for Eb. One or maybe two of them might fit, but it's unlikely they all will. If it were me I would just go straight to making them from some kind of plastic or cork.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
Thank you that sugru is definitely something I want to try. Question-there seems to be an "original" formula, and a "family friendly" formula; any preference for either of the two formulas?
I've always used the original formula, though the other stuff may work fine too. I just don't have any experience with it.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
14,268 Posts
When I had my Conn NWII soprano overhauled, the local tech who did it added layered cork on the palm keys. Great job, they were perfectly shaped, looked nice, and made an improvement to the feel of the horn. I’ve had layered cork before on sopranos and I thought that approach was superior to anything else I’d seen. DAVE

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
Aaah, Dave my friend, you should try Sugru. It's easy to apply — like working with plasticene — does a perfect job and is completely reversible. But be warned: it's addictive stuff — do one horn and you'll find yourself doing them all.

·
Registered
718 Posts
Cosmo Industries makes key risers that work very well. However, the sets I bought when they first came out did not fit my Conn C-Mel palm keys. The owner seems very responsive, and may well be able to get you some to fit at this point. The noce thing about these is that the go on and tighten within in seconds, stay very securely, and are completely reversible without any damage . One could even use to test out various heights before going through the learning curve of making some out of sugru or cork. But I’ve just left mine on and forgotten they were there.

https://forum.saxontheweb.net/showthread.php?246494-New-Palm-Key-Risers

1 - 12 of 12 Posts