Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
897 Posts
It's common on sopranos and sopraninos to solder the tiny little palm key tone hole chimneys instead of pulling them. They definitely shouldn't protrude into the bore though -- that could indeed be hurting your response.

Here on my Yanagisawa sopranino you can see they are (silver) soldered to the body, but on the inside they're flush with the bore. What brand are you dealing with?

Automotive lighting Drinkware Drink Metal Wood

Automotive lighting Gas Bumper Automotive exterior Headlamp

·
Registered
897 Posts
That said ... there are lots of other variables that affect the top end of these tiny little saxlets, especially embouchure and voicing.
And mouthpieces. I've tried a bunch of 'nino mouthpieces and found that Yanagisawa (metal and hard rubber) and Selmer Paris all do a superior job.

·
Registered
897 Posts
It's an Orpheo, which I believe was made in Taiwan, but I can't find any hard evidence one way or the other. Nice little horn, but the high end is kicking my butt.

Can the chimneys be burnished flush, or filed down, or...?
Interesting. I've seen a huge difference in quality and attention to details like this across different Taiwan factories.

It will be very hard to file all that brass in there without messing up the surrounding bore. Have you tried other mouthpieces?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts