Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been trying to troubleshoot some upper register response issues on my sopranino, and looking down the inside of the horn, it looks like the "pips" for the high F# and palm E aren't flush with the tube (see pic). Would this cause an inconsistent upper register? Am I just looking for excuses for my lack of experience on the small squeaky thing? For reference, I'm playing a newly refaced Caravan with Rovner Dark and Legere reeds.
Sky Automotive lighting Automotive design Gas Astronomical object

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What brand are you dealing with?
It's an Orpheo, which I believe was made in Taiwan, but I can't find any hard evidence one way or the other. Nice little horn, but the high end is kicking my butt.

Can the chimneys be burnished flush, or filed down, or...?

·
Registered
1,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, thanks for all the feedback! This horn is otherwise well built and the rest of the range is smooth as butter. I'm not entirely sure the problem isn't lack of experience with sopranino, but I thought something didn't look right so I thought I'd ask.

Have you tried other mouthpieces?
The only other piece I've played is the stock piece. The high end is actually a little easier with that piece, but it has a smaller chamber and a higher baffle. Decent for jazz with a Fibracell 4.5 soprano reed. For classical I'm a "Rascher Guy." I chose the Caravan because I want a dark classical tone. I'm curious to see if the Vandoren would help with the upper register, but I've heard it can be a little bright (and pricy). I've always found Selmers and Yanys too bright for my classical tastes on the other horns, so I figured they might not work for me on 'nino either.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts