Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
641 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, now I definitely need help.

I have the chance to buy a pair of 1920s full boehm with "donut" key and wrap around octave key. One is in the key of A and the other in the key of C, but... the latter seems to be in high pitch.

I didn't know that buffet did high pitch clarinets in the 20s, but upon researching this clarinets, I found that it did. I tried them, very lightly used, play top to bottom without effort despite beeing stored for probably more than 80 years from what the owner told me. I never had played neither an A or C clarinet, but the barrel on the C seems so short... Almost Eb clarinet short, but it takes a Bb mouthpiece, because I played them both with my mpc.

These models appear only from time to time and beeing an A and C, makes it even rarer, but I'm afraid to overpay. I've seen people asking up from 1000USD, and I've seen them selling for 550USD, the Bb ones. Not sure about these. I know that the A is probably more valuable, but the C in high pitch?

Edit: one barrel and wooden mpc (original, saying buffet) for each and the original vertical case for 3 clarinets comes with it, but in a bit poor condition. Some scratches on the clarinets I think were made from beeing in the case.

Any thoughts are very welcome indeed.
Thanks for looking

·
Registered
600 Posts
Clarinets aren't worth much as antiques, and suffer from neglect. Better the instruments had been played rather than left in a closet. The C clarinet, if it is high pitch, is a curiosity that an antique instrument collector might give a few dollars for. I don't know the market well enough to give you an exact amount, but likely no more than $100. The A, if it's in good playing condition, tunes well and has a tone quality and playability you like, maybe $500. It depends on what you want them for. If it's just for fun, not for ensemble playing, then it might be a worthwhile purchase. If you want to play with others, then it might be wise to spend more and get modern clarinets. While some players enjoy playing on good, well-maintained antique clarinets, and while the instrument haven't changed much in appearance over the years, they definitely have improved.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,126 Posts
If you want a C clarinet, get a modern one. they are fun and great travel clarinets because of the small size.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts