Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
363 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two STM Tenor Links--a 7* and a 6*. The 7* has almost no baffle. The 6* has a nice little rollover baffle.

I like the 6* more than the 7* but am not sure if it is the rollover baffle or the smaller tip. I would like to give the 7* a nice small rollover that I can control very effectively but that doesn't fall out like putty.

I had an idea to use some kind of non-reactive substance to paint into the baffle that I could later take out if I didn't like it and not screw up the gold plate.

I am thinking of using some kind of nail polish as it is rather thick but thin enough to control, drys fast, and (I think) could be encouraged to come out without harming the gold plate.

Am I nuts?

Has anyone ever painted on a very subtle rollover baffle that did not leave traces when removed?

Any other advice to solve my problem?

Thanks,

Mark

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
Players used to make baffle inserts by shaping and sanding balsa wood. Once they got the effect they wanted, they would make a more permanent one using metal or plastic. If done right they can be made snug enough to stay in place without an adhesive. If you want just a very slight baffle change, the clear nail polish would probably work just fine and be easily removable using a solvent. Of course you would never do that on a plastic or hard rubber piece. If you have a dial caliper you could put down a layer, let it dry and then measure how many .001" each layer adds. Good luck.

John

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have a meyer 7m that really needed some baffle. What I used was electricians tape (the black stuff). It is fairly easy to use. It is also quite removable, and if you need it to stay in longer, it can do that too. I made a fairly major baffle modification with it about a month ago, and haven't taken it out since. I would be wary about using something like nail polish or something similar....Im not sure how hygenic or safe
it would be to put that stuff in a mouthpiece.

Good luck with the experimenting!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,319 Posts
I use dental wax-available for $1.00 at Walmart- which can be shaped anyway you want and stays put until you scrape it out(with your finger). I can make about 10 baffles per container if needed. I've been using it in an Otto link when I want a bit more power.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts