Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever had a pain not on the lip but on the inside of your mout, the bit which is inbetween your bottom teeth and the reed. I thought it was just my teeth scraping against it too much, but I tried loosening my mouth a bit, but still hurt. Doesn't really happen unless I'm playin for like and hour or so.

·
Distinguished SOTW Coffee Guru
38,889 Posts
I am not sure but I think you describe the common problem called " Biting" by most. It has to do with your muscles not being able up to support your embouchure for a long time. Possibly you are also using a mouthpiece with a tip too open for you at the moment or a reed too thick. Never mind, take it easy and think of the position of your lips while playing. If you notice your teeth digging into your underlip try to push your underlip a little forward.
Go easy on it. Build up strength and stamina.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2009
3,204 Posts
I even had blood there in the beginning. Biting is the word indeed, long tones a solution.

Another tip : it's better to practice twice for 30 minutes than once for an hour straight when you're starting. You'll have less trouble with it.

·
Forum Contributor 2011, SOTW's pedantic pet rodent
8,322 Posts
Don't let the lip collapse down onto the bottom teeth. Support upwards. Get a m/p with a closer tip and a softer reed if necessary. If you search under "biting" i think you'll find a lot of stuff on this in the forum. As suggested below: limit your practising and don't carry on when your lip is tired (yes, it is frustrating). I always get hot on this topic because i had exactly the same problems when i started playing and didn't properly realise it until years later. Believe me, you (and your teacher?) need to fix this sooner rather than later. In my opinion, long tones in themselves do not fix biting unless the embouchure itself is properly supported by the muscles around the mouth.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks... i didnt have it when I started playing, ive been playing for about 2 years and it only started hurting recently. but still ill try all that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts