Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 86 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
13,019 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Did the page layout just get changed?

The information runs full width, with the post underneath it also full width.

·
The most prolific Distinguished SOTW poster, Forum
27,650 Posts
Carl H. said:
Yes. And IMO it Bites it!

Harri - please, I don't know about others, but this new format squeezes my pages and post windows. It's very constricting. My vote goes for taking that Mauriat ad off of the left side of the forum page and putting it back at the top where, I believe, it was.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
Carl H. said:

The information runs full width, with the post underneath it also full width.
Big difference I notice is the P. Mauriat ad on the left.

·
27,650 Posts
Reedsplinter said:
Big difference I notice is the P. Mauriat ad on the left.
...and your avatar is no longer on the left side with the post window to its right. IMO even more wasted space than before.

edited shortly thereafter: Whoah, hey. Now they're back on the left side, LOL. A work in progress, as the saying goes I suppose.

·
Registered
790 Posts
Wow, this doesn't make reading any better, Seems very unpleasant to the eyes (even with the widescreen I have). The big headers above each post make it look a bit messy.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
Simple solution, guys. Buy the left banner space as soon as it's available, then tell Harry you don't want a banner there, but he can keep the money. If the left banner provides funds needed to keep SOTW alive, I have no problem with it. It's normal for people to dislike change, but we soon become accustomed to new formats.

And welcome back, Kessler.

·
Forum Contributor 2010, Distinguished SOTW Member
5,076 Posts
retread said:
Simple solution, guys. Buy the left banner space as soon as it's available, then tell Harry you don't want a banner there, but he can keep the money. If the left banner provides funds needed to keep SOTW alive, I have no problem with it. It's normal for people to dislike change, but we soon become accustomed to new formats.

Hmm. I LOVE the ad. Love it, love it.

it doesn't cost me a dime, and it pays the bills!:cool:

·
27,650 Posts
retread said:
If the left banner provides funds needed to keep SOTW alive, I have no problem with it.
It ain't the what, it's the where. :D

·
Forum Founder
3,877 Posts
Left colums

retread said:
Do I hear any bids? :)

I thought that banner would need more horizontal space.
At any rate, I change it back the previous lay-out, and it look now reasonable to my eye. The users with a 640x800 screen may complain, though.

The reason for the banner ad: retread formulated pretty well above.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
Mine stopped the avatar-all-the-way-across mode, but PM banner is still there.

·
Distinguished Member and Forum Contributor 2008
6,395 Posts
No likey PM banner at left.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
saxmanglen said:
No likey PM banner at left.
I wouldn't mind it so much on the right.

·
6,395 Posts
hakukani said:
I wouldn't mind it so much on the right.
I'd like it mo' better on bottom.

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
I think it would be better on the right. As I scroll down, It's white space anyway.

....and we're much more likely to accidently click it if it were near the scroll bar...;)

·
Registered
790 Posts
Harri Rautiainen said:
What would make a difference if it were on right column?
Maybe Haku has got a point there (only this time haku, only this time :D ). It will let the posts start at the full left which maybe gives a more naturel feel for reading.

·
6,395 Posts
Harri Rautiainen said:
Believe me, this thread is not a poll. :!:
It's nice seeing Kessler back too!

What if all the banners where at the top moving the forum page slightly downward? Maybe even sizing the banners a bit larger.

Just a thought.....

·
Distinguished SOTW Member and Forum Contributor
4,379 Posts
hakukani said:
....and we're much more likely to accidently click it if it were near the scroll bar...;)
Your talents may not be fully utilized in education. You'd make onehellofa ad man...inventive and slightly devious.

1 - 20 of 86 Posts