Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I have been considering doing a full overhaul in my SBA and I have read a lot of posts about pads to use and some were contradicting.

Some people said that there is no difference in the pads used, some people say that plastic resonators are better than metal because metal rust (not sure if this is correct), and some people say that there is no difference.

What is your opinion ?, which are better pads for your horn and why?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Best,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
4,315 Posts
Depending which metal they may or may not just. My experience with reaps is that metal give a bit more projection that the comparable plastic reso. I also like roopads because of durability. I have never had an SBA but have overhauled many saxophones and roos last a long time.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Depending which metal they may or may not just. My experience with reaps is that metal give a bit more projection that the comparable plastic reso. I also like roopads because of durability. I have never had an SBA but have overhauled many saxophones and roos last a long time.
Thank you.

How long do you think will they last?

Best,

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
1,450 Posts
I think a far better question would involve who you might want to perform your overhaul. A good technician will either use or offer you a choice of good, suitable materials. Choosing the pads THEN choosing the tech sounds a bit backwards to me. He may not even be used to the materials you want to use.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,596 Posts
I ask my tech what he recommends. He has installed/replaced/played way more kinds of pads than I have. (He did recommend plastic resonators, and said that the material didn't matter, but the plastic ones were available in more sizes to better match the size of the pad.)

·
Registered
41 Posts
FWIW, I much prefer nylon (plastic) resenators on my horns. I'm not sure how significant the difference really is, but they feel a tad darker for me.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Hi,
I have been considering doing a full overhaul in my SBA and I have read a lot of posts about pads to use and some were contradicting.

Some people said .... that there is no difference in the pads used, some people say that plastic resonators are better than metal because metal rust (not sure if this is correct), and some people say that there is no difference...
There are threads and threads and threads and threads on this topic.

There reaches a point, when yet another thread is started, where those who have worthy information to offer, have already offered it many times and don't offer it again.
So you get a thread full of unchallenged stuff from those who know very little.

You seem to have viewed other threads. If you want further specific information why not maintain some integrity in this forum by asking about those details in existing threads?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thread jack! 😕
Hi y'all - I'm very new to this forum stuff but have a specific question about sourcing pads.
I'm replacing a few pads on a vintage buffet B12 and a yamaha yas 21 (juat to get the insight on how the machine/ adjuatment materials work). I'm based in the UK and can't seem to find a definitive go-to pad supplier that isn't over priced or from the depths of china.. Is there an online source if info telling us what manufacturors/ spec of pads are usable in what horns?
I appriciate there is inherent variation ik sax pads and that you need a few examples of the same one to guarentee a true fit - which puts me off buying a generic, cheap pad set.

Any help would be appriciated atm to break my impasse.

Thanks!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts