Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everyday my pads stick, I would always have to get a piece of paper and slide it under the pad.
But that would always be a temporary solution as the pad will stick again a few days later.
How would I fix this without cost?

·
Registered
253 Posts
Do you swab your sax out after playing? If not, that might be something that helps reduce excess moisture+junk from collecting on your pads/

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
6,831 Posts
Is it a new re-pad? Is it s new sax with new pads? It seems that the both extremes (very old worn out pads, and brand new pads) stick more than the sax with average age/wear pads.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No I don't swab out my sax after playing,
after I finish practicing, I just put it back in the case.
I had a repad last year.

·
6,831 Posts
No I don't swab out my sax after playing,
after I finish practicing, I just put it back in the case.
I had a repad last year.
Well, there ya go. Problem identified.

I have a bad habit of not swabbing my sax after I put it away too. It also has a new rebuild on it (well, just over a year ago I think). I have a very light action on my Vito Model 38 as well, compounding the problem. I just deal with it. Sounds and feels too good to change saxes again (I do need the neck tenon stretched though. It's loosed up).

As far as no cost fix. Isn't really any. Next time this sax is getting RooPads. I have them on my soprano, and they never stuck, even from day one (rebuilt about 3 years ago).

·
Distinguished SOTW member/, Official SOTW Sister
19,221 Posts
You spend all that money on a repad and then you DON'T swab after playing?!?
That's just a little disgusting. If I were your mother I'd slap you upside the head.
The first and most important thing you learn in the "Care and Feeding" of your instrument is: SWAB IT OUT AFTER PLAYING.
Not once a week, once a month, or once a year. EVERY time you play.
Instead of wondering what to do once problems start, why not do everything you can to prevent them from ever happening in the first place.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, I got a repad for free.
I'm going to think about how I'm going to swab my sax.

·
6,831 Posts
Silk swabs are the best. Lint free, and suck up the moisture!

PS
Here's my excuse: My soprano and bari both have solid necks. no way to get a swab in there I know of! That's just carried over to the Alto and Tenor, where I've gotton lazy.

What's your excuse?

·
19,221 Posts
You got a FREE repad? Now that's surprising.
I hope it wasn't from anyone that is a member here.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Silk swabs are the best. Lint free, and suck up the moisture!

PS
Here's my excuse: My soprano and bari both have solid necks. no way to get a swab in there I know of! That's just carried over to the Alto and Tenor, where I've gotton lazy.

What's your excuse?
I don't know how to swab my sax, and I don't have a swab, so I'm trying to figure out how to make one.

Oh yeah, I got a free repad from where I got my sax.

·
19,221 Posts
I don't know how to swab my sax, and I don't have a swab, so I'm trying to figure out how to make one.

Oh yeah, I got a free repad from where I got my sax.
:faceinpalm:

·
6,831 Posts
Just buy a swab! They're cheaper than a couple boxes of reeds! And I'm serious when I say silk! The ultra cheap swabs are full of lint, and create more problems than they prevent! The "PadSaver" swabs are also no good, as they just hold the moisture in on the swab, against the keys. Some also have terrible lint problems. Bad juju! I need to order another swab for my Tenor (I have one for my Alto), so i can start practicing what I preach :) .

Anyone know how to swab out a fixed neck Bari, or a fixed neck curved soprano? I use a Trombone pipe cleaner on the neck of the bari, and have used it on the soprano too, but that just gives a clean neck!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,136 Posts
Follow Grumps link above. You can also buy Yamaha powder paper for pretty cheap and that is a good temporary fix before a performance. The paper works better than a dollar bill or other paper. Another thing you can do; when you get home, take the sax out of the case and put it on a stand or safe place to dry. If you prop open the low C# key slightly, it will allow your G# to dry completely. G# is usually the key that sticks the most.

almost forgot; brush your teeth before playing and don't drink sugary drinks before playing either. Diet sodas with no sugar are fine.

·
6,831 Posts
Follow Grumps link above. You can also buy Yamaha powder paper for pretty cheap and that is a good temporary fix before a performance. The paper works better than a dollar bill or other paper. Another thing you can do; when you get home, take the sax out of the case and put it on a stand or safe place to dry. If you prop open the low C# key slightly, it will allow your G# to dry completely. G# is usually the key that sticks the most.
Usually, not always! The common pads to stick on my Alto: Bis key, E /F# key, and B key. G# has a spring under it :) . No sticky keys on my Tenor, none on soprano, and only the body tube octave vent on Bari.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2007-
7,136 Posts
…"PadSaver" swabs are also no good, as they just hold the moisture in on the swab, against the keys.
I use them all the time, but just to swab out the horn. Later, I use a regular neck plug when the case is closed.

·
6,831 Posts
I use them all the time, but just to swab out the horn. Later, I use a regular neck plug when the case is closed.
And that should work, so long as it's lint free! I know there is a brand or two in that style of swab that gives out no lint, but many do.

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
1. Buy a swab!!! Musicmedic carry the best one.

2. Make sure you swab your saxophone before you put it away.

3. In a heavily AC'd or cold environment, where you're going to generate a lot of moisture, I usually swab pads and tone holes from the palm keys down to G# and the Eb pad and tonehole with a pad dryer.

3. Leave your saxophone on its stand rather than in its case so it can air dry.

4. For additional protection, you can rub a TINY amount of silicone/teflon oil on your pads with a Q-tip.

5. DON'T USE ONE OF THESE!!!

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
Certain brands/models of pad are inherently very sticky. It seems to be to do with the particular application or process that has been used to reduce the porosity (hence possible moisture absorbency of the leather. Selmer themselves used some exceptionally sticky pads recently, for several years.

I have found that high quality pads, from a reputable maker such as Music Center (in Italy), the world's largest pad maker, do not have a problem with sticking unless the player has been exceptionally grubby.

So may I suggest that many of the above posts are unnecessarily quick to judge the player, when a very likely cause is the standard of pads that were used in the repad.

I have found that if the pads themselves are "congenitally" sticky, then there is little that can be done that has any permanence, other than change the pads.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
And as discussed in many threads before, there is a wide and informed opinion among many technicians, who understand sax pad damage, that use of a pad saver such as the red one shown two threads up is harmless providing it is of a brand that does not drop lint. HW is just such a brand, and probably the original on the market. It most definitely should not be judged by the damage done by substandard brands. l And ironically, I am almost certain that the photo shown is that very brand.

And having such a pad saver in the case means that it is pretty much always used. On the other hand, for many players it is just too much trouble to use a pull-through, so it sits in the case unused.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts