Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have recently purchased a Haynes closed hole, C foot flute serial number 21,000 range. It looks to have the original pads, which as you would imagine aren't in the best shape. But for a small ding on the foot it is otherwise mechanically sound. On previous overhauls of other flutes I have used both Prestini and Music Medic pads and have thought both were of good quality. My question; is there a particular pad (type, thickness, or provider) which would be more suitable for this particular flute? Any other suggestions which might be helpful for the repad? Just as background I am not a professional technician but have overhauled many other flutes and saxophones - just not a Haynes. I have owned an Armstrong Heritage previously and it looks very similar in structure. Thank you for reading.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
3,003 Posts
Great flutes, especially around that serial no!
I would contact JLSmith and ask their advice. I've done this before with flutes I've done myself and they've been very helpful

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
My guy, who used to run the Haynes shop, makes all his own pads. I can ask him what he recommends other than those.

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
This, from the guy who was Jean Pierre Rampals US tech of choice:

Jim,

I would suggest Ferree's line of "needle felt" pads. They are a consistent, stable, and predictable pad that I've used on the very best instruments, with excellent results.

In the Ferree's catalog they're listed under "B8".

1 - 7 of 7 Posts