Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Now that I have my new 1917 True Tone from an Ebay auction, I no longer have to lurk on this site. My True Tone is better than expected. No dents. Not even any wear on the keys. Original case is perfect. But horrible, horrible tarnish, which is why I got it for $125. I'm getting quick at this. I got it torn down and polished in a day.

I lurked on SOTW because this site had lots of suggestions that helped with my metal Leblanc contrabass clarinet. I've repadded several clarinets, including the contrabass, which has pads that are shimmed and held in place with screws. I used Roo pads on the contrabass, but I don't want white pads again (old silver horns with no laquer tarnish and the black shows up on the pads).

My pre-snap-in pads on the True Tone appear to be the originals. White pads that had a single stitch of thread in the middle. I like the SaxGourmet pads because they're kangaroo and they are black. Can I put any resonator style on the True Tone? Should I put resonators on it? Do I just order a resonator style and float the pad?

I've measured all the pads and have my list ready. Still, I'd kind of like to check it against a "Buescher True Tone Alto Pad Kit" chart if there is such a thing. I found a pad list at Ferree's for the LeBlanc contrabass clarinet but haven't found a similar list for the True Tone. Anybody know it there's one on the web?

Mark Fleming

·
Registered
800 Posts
I am pretty sure measuring each cup is the best way. So called Kits may or may not be right.

Measure your pad thickness too!

About the resonators some one else can chime in on.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2014
2,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Measuring the thickness is a little difficult given the age of the pads. I saw a post that said Bueschers used thick pads (@ .185"), but these all seem to be around .165".

Mark Fleming

·
Registered
800 Posts
I know the snap ins were pretty thick. I couldn't tell you if that is true on the older ones.

You will certainly find out either way.

I'd suggest waiting for wiser men to answer, as this site is certainly full of it..... wisdom that is.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Technician
21,030 Posts
When in doubt, thin is better. You can always us a paper shim under some of them or just float a bit more glue. If they are too thick, you may get them to work at first but the adjustment will never stay.

·
Registered
250 Posts
The closest you get to snaps is the Seamless Domed Metal Resonator from MusicMedic. Black or with Roos with these resonators should work well on the TT. I did my 1926 TT soprano this way, with very good result. Just remember to order shellac in the same colour as the pads - it looks nicer this way.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts