Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,983 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello

I'm looking for a new source of good quality 4mm thick saxophone pads. Ferrees is what I'm considering now, either the B52 or B58 pads. I would like to know how they compare with other pads. If you know other sources that are a good option this will also help.

The pads I'm familiar with are the Premium Deluxe from Music Center and 350 from J.L. Smith. Music Center are very good with very good leather (best I found so far) and firm, but are a bit expensive for my small orders and takes very long. Smith pads are also firm and good quality except the leather which I don't like very much (and they also increased prices a lot recently).

I'd like to find pads which compare pretty much with the firmness of the Smith pads (almost identical to Music Center Deluxe, just a tiny bit less firm) and with the good quality leather comparable of the Music Center pads. Ferrees might work as they are made by Music Center.

Thanks very much!

·
Banned
5,336 Posts
We use the Ferrees B52 .160" thick pads in our shop for the Yamahas and other makes that take the thinner pad. The quality has been adequate for our applications. I can't compare them to the other pads that you mentioned since I haven't tried them.

Your best bet would be to order a few and see how you like them. The plastic resonator on the B52 pads is a darker color than on some of the other brands which sometimes forces a resonator change if we have to match existing pads.

John

·
Registered
1,888 Posts
I buy all my pads with just a hole punched and install the reso's myself. I find it cuts down on inventory and I can offer just about any reso currently available. I've used the Ferree's pads for a long time and find them to be quite consistent. I've also used the Precision brand from Curt at musicmedic.com and found the quality to be about equal. I believe the JL Smith pads are like the old Ed Myers pads and I haven't used them in a very long time. You could also look into Votawtool.com and Krausmusic.com as possible sources.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts