Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Banned
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i need to get my mark VI tenor from orlando to dallas. i didnt want to check as a bag because they wouldnt cover the value if they lost it so i wanted to ship it.

can i just put it in the case? (original 1972 case, a bit worn looking)

do i need to do something else?

is fedex or ups better for damage or insuring?

do i need to get it apraised before shipping or are pictures suficient?

·
Banned
6,369 Posts
If I understand you correctly, you wanted to fly from Orlando to Dallas with your sax. right? If so, you have several options.

1. I would drive. End of problem.
2. I would bring the sax along with me in the plane.
3. You can ship it, sure, but USPS, UPS or FEDEX are all unreliable IMO and the claims process is a long hard road to go through. It feels like talking to an insurance company managed by a federal administration. Best way to pack a saxophone is to follow these instructions : http://www.cybersax.com/packsax.html. This is the least desirable option IMO.

·
Forum Contributor 2007-2012, Distinguished SOTW Te
3,314 Posts
Orlando to Dallas is a hell of a drive.

Put it in a shaped case like a Hiscox or Walt Johnson or ProTec and carry it on. When you wait to board, wear it like a backpack and keep yourself between the horn and the ticket puncher. Use a man-purse for items you need on the plane- a book, water, ipod. Throw a fit if they try to make you check it. Works for every musician I know.

·
Distinguished Technician & SOTW Columnist. RIP, Yo
17,204 Posts
But a sax is constructed with items of mass destruction!

·
Banned
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
well i didnt ship it and didnt take it as carry but the gate guy said they usually will with instruments if there is room. so, its not guaranteed and if the flight is full you might not get it on. now i wont have it for at least another month.

thanks for all the info though

1 - 5 of 5 Posts