Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm working on a solo saxophone gigwhere I would use my Macbook Pro (or an ipod) for my backing tracks and then play through a PA. My question is what kind of PA/Speaker setup would be good for this?

On a side note, anyone know where to get some quality background tracks for some contemporary jazz and pop music (some stuff that people would recognize)? I already have some but probably not enough to fill 2 hours. The playalong books I have for the most part have boring backing tracks.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
QSC K-series (I use the lightest one, the K8, for sax-with-trax on ipod). Just did a gig like this for a wedding reception on Saturday. 1000 watts, only 27 lbs.

The DJ the bride hired for later in the evening was using..... QSC K-12s. A Korg rep I know (because he plays great upright bass) also raves about these.

These K-series speakers IMO are killer. They have a low line-level RCA input (i.e. red n white home-component stereo inputs) perfect for ipod. They're around $650, but one of these will be all you'll ever need volume-wise.

As for backing tracks for R&B, I use kareoke tracks from itunes or Amazon-MP3-imported-into-itunes. The trick is to listen to previews of the different kareoke tracks available and buy the least-cheesy one.

·
436 Posts
I would NOT suggest using one of those guitar/PA all in one amps. I would get a pair of powered PA speakers that you can elevate on stands. You're gonna get a gig sometime at a really quiet restaurant, and you'll want the PA playing right in your ear while you stuff a sock down the bell.

Also, I would suggest that you use an mp3 player (that does play a track and stop), and leave your laptop in the car for backup.

·
Registered
1,220 Posts
QSC-12s are great and can be mounted on stands. Use them all the time for gigs playing sax with keyboard with nice results
and non-fatiguing sound for the audience.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Are those speakers meant to be mounted on stands? If so, what stand would I get?

QSC K-series (I use the lightest one, the K8, for sax-with-trax on ipod). Just did a gig like this for a wedding reception on Saturday. 1000 watts, only 27 lbs.

The DJ the bride hired for later in the evening was using..... QSC K-12s. A Korg rep I know (because he plays great upright bass) also raves about these.

These K-series speakers IMO are killer. They have a low line-level RCA input (i.e. red n white home-component stereo inputs) perfect for ipod. They're around $650, but one of these will be all you'll ever need volume-wise.

As for backing tracks for R&B, I use kareoke tracks from itunes or Amazon-MP3-imported-into-itunes. The trick is to listen to previews of the different kareoke tracks available and buy the least-cheesy one.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
You just use a standard tripod-style speaker stand. Once nice feature about the K-series is that the hole in the bottom in which you insert the stand pole can tilt slightly, so as to point the speaker slightly downward if desired. However, you could just set the speaker on a table or something.

I bought my K8 at guitar center, and the sales guy threw in a mic cable for free (that I could use to daisy chain to my other JBL powered speaker), and sold me a tripod speaker stand at a deep discount (for about $20).

Note- the difference between K8 K10 and K12 IMO is not power per se. It really boils down to the size of cabinet/woofer, and how deep and rich a bass sound you want or need. I opted for the smallest version (k8), so I could carry it for a block or two if I had to, If I wanted to use public transit for a gig (which I successfully have). These series have a "Bass boost" feature that actually adds a lot of bass to the sound without sounding muddy.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So I would need just 1 K12 right? The PA is built in?

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
To clarify my question. The bands I play in have a PA head and 2 speakers. These K series are powered amplified speakers or would I still need a PA?

·
Forum Contributor 2011-2015
1,865 Posts
I just scored a K10 off eBay.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/180729224118?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

It is due in today. I am really looking forward to finding out how well it works. Thanks saxguy007 for your assistance on my selection. BTW, Which iPod are you using? The latest and greatest or an older version? I will be using my Grand Cherokee for hauling my stuff so size was not a major factor however I do not want to lug a bunch of heavy stuff to a location.

I also got this speaker stand. It already arrived yesterday and is very well made. Very happy with the quality of construction.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/200650136064?ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1439.l2649

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I got my K12 and stand yesterday. I set it up with my iPod and ran my AMT mic into it. Wow! I sounded like a full band. My next question is, do I want to get some kind of mixing board to better control myself rather than go to the back of the speaker? Can my Macbook Pro do this or do I need an actual board? Suggestions?

·
Just a guy who plays saxophone.
3,562 Posts
You could run the ipod and your mic set up through any mixing/ recording software (even garage band), and manage your levels while it runs as monitor out to your k12 (VERY NICE by the way). You could also record everything and mix it down later. Sounds like a fun rig to play with.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well, the K12 does have an XLR output to mixer. However, how do I connect an xlr to the Mac?

·
Distinguished SOTW member, musician, technician &
4,981 Posts
Well, the K12 does have an XLR output to mixer. However, how do I connect an xlr to the Mac?
Hmm... I guess maybe for a recording device or something like that, in case there isn't another output from whatever is connected to it. Not really sure why a speaker would have an output (maybe does something good to the signal)...? I don't know. Normally the mixer would go into the speaker's input.

Computers usually have a small TRS output. You can connect this to many different inputs with a cable with the right connectors.
Looking at this http://www.qsc.com/images/hi_res/K/K12back_hi.jpg I guess you can use a small TRS to double RCA (stereo), small TRS to normal TRS or maybe small TRS to XLR, but not sure how it works since the computer is stereo and the speaker is mono. If you want to connect the mic through the computer I guess you'd need an audio card for the mic too (if you don't have one already).

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
By TRS are you referring to the small 1/8" jack for headphones/speakers?

·
SOTW Administrator
26,204 Posts
The K12 appears to have three line level outputs that are xlr. There's a main line out that's post mix, one that's post output 1, and one that's post output 2. I'm assuming that these are to send signal either to another PA, or perhaps a second k12.

It needs to be remembered that the two 'volume' controls ARE simple mixers. If you want to use a mixer remotely to control your k12, you need to put it between your mic or line source and the mic/line input to the k12.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2011
13,016 Posts
TRS = Tip, ring, sleeve stereo connector

·
Registered
4 Posts
if you guys want to buy any type of sound equipment then i would suggest Sam Ash Music. they offer me 20% off coupons every couple of months and they have service plans for the gear you get. they will replace it if it breaks within 2 years. just a thought.

·
878 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Yeah SamAsh is great, I bought my AMT mic there. I've been using Guitar Center lately because the local store was so nice to me.

I'm still not sure of the best way to run this for live gigs. I can bring all my tunes on an iPod and connect the iPod to the RCA jacks and my mic through my effects pedal to an XLR input. This is what I am doing at home for testing and using the 2 "Gain" knobs to control volume. I also have an MAudio box for connect my Sax mic to my Macbook pro for recording. Is it preferable to run through Macbook Pro and then one input into my speaker? Or is there some kind of mixing board I should get?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts