Sax on the Web Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently I've been hearing quite a bit about P Mauriat saxophones and I've been wondering if any of you have ever tried them. If you have, could you compare them to yamahas and selmers or is it apples and oranges at that point? I like to think that selmers are brighter while yamaha's are darker in tone. How do P Mauriat's sound? Which one did you use? Is unlacquered really the way to go? I currently play on an YTS 82z gold lacquer with a c* mouthpiece and a rovner ligature and 3.5 vandoren blue box reeds. Perhaps someone with a similar setup can help me get an idea. Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you!

Cristopher D. Johnson

·
Registered
646 Posts
G'day Christopher,
As it happens there is an entire subforum devoted to P Mauriat saxophones...lots of opinions about them. See here.

·
Grafton + TH & C alto || Naked Lady 10M || TT soprano || Martin Comm III
30,102 Posts
Recently I've been hearing quite a bit about P Mauriat saxophones and I've been wondering if any of you have ever tried them. If you have, could you compare them to yamahas and selmers or is it apples and oranges at that point?
To a large extent it's apples and oranges, as the quality of a saxophone is largely subjective. I've had the opportunity to try a lot of P.Mauriats and I'd say they compare very favourably with Selmers and Yamahas. But don't take my word for it, try them and see what you think.

·
Distinguished SOTW Member
2,294 Posts
I currently play on an YTS 82z gold lacquer with a c* mouthpiece and a rovner ligature and 3.5 vandoren blue box reeds. Perhaps someone with a similar setup can help me get an idea. Any feedback is appreciated! Thank you!

Cristopher D. Johnson
What sort of music do you want to play, or rather, what sort of sound do you want? The instrument makes very little difference compared to the reed and m/p, and you're using a very (IMO) classical reed and m/p set up but on a sax that primarily has a jazz sound in mind. So, what are you after?

·
Registered
610 Posts
why change, you already have a great horn? I'd be inclined to stick with the horn you have and think more about the sound you're after, and work with a mouthpiece and reed that feel comfortable to find you're sound. As Mike F says, the mouthpiece and reed can make more of a difference to the end sound, but at the end of the day you can steer a mouthpiece and reed setup towards the sound in your head (referred to as the Sound Concept).

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Forum Contributor 2012
3,237 Posts
It also seems to me that with a Selmer C*, whatever horn you play, given it plays in tune, will be fine, and very similar. Assuming the 82Z is one of the best modern horns on the market, what is the point ? The mouthpiece in general, and a Selmer C* in particular, is "formatting" your sound much more than the horn behind it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I primarily play classical but i do want to branch out to jazz in the future as well. i like the sound of the 82z compared to the 875ex. plus the 82z was only 2900, a steal in my opinion.all the 875s i saw were at least 600$ more

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I never said i wanted to buy a p mauriat. i LOVE my 82z and i'll probably keep it forever. i just wanted to know what all the hype was about. i do want to move from a c* to a c** though in the near future

·
Registered
45 Posts
I have a Reference and an 82Z, they are both great horns. The horn and set up are a fraction of the sound, The player is the most important thing. All of the greats don't talk about or boast about what they play on unless they are paid to do so, there is a huge marketing campaign with those asian horns, just look at the banners above this page.

Work on your personal sound, and if it is meant to be, there will be an SBA, BA or mark VI , that you will be the caretaker of untill it's time to pass it on to the next player

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2016
4,881 Posts
Yes, there is a lot of marketing hype behind P Mauriats, but I like them and the CE Omegas I have. They've got a good tone but not as refined in feel (action, ergos, tuning) as my Japanese horns.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Everyone will say their horn is the best! And so will I. I like PM's, their tones are different based on the model. Some sound are big and Ballsy will others are more refined and focused and the System 76 2nd edition sounds like a good Mark VI. I've owned the PMXT 66RUL and now play the PMST 86 UL which has less spread but still has a lot off balls & bite. The 82z is a very good horn just change your setup to a piece to something with a larger chambers and a Jazz reed. I used to play a Vandoren Optimum TL3 with Van Blue 3 for Classical/Concert stuff and a Morgan 6M for Jazz.

Since I don't play that much classical stuff anymore I am using an Otto Link New Vintage HR 8 for everything. I just change my reeds; Jazz Selects for Jazz and Van Blue 2.5's for concert. Trying to simplify everything so I can concentrate on the "Music" and not my gear!

·
Distinguished SOTW Member, Forum Contributor 2015-
34,729 Posts
I like to think that selmers are brighter while yamaha's are darker in tone.
That's the opposite of my experience. Given that, what does somebody else's read on how a P. Mauriat plays matter?

Why would you want to play the same setup on a different horn? I tend to look for a horn with character and then find the mouthpiece to give me the response I prefer.

·
2,833 Posts
to me yamahas, are brighter sounding horns,i personaaly like them mainly the superb, feel ,ease of playing,intonation,ergonomics etc!..i played a friends p.mauriat RUL66 which i thought was a lovely horn, it compared very well to my mkiv selmer!..although i still felt the selmer had that something extra..they are all good, but as others had mentioned its down to individual taste .

·
Distinguished SOTW Member/Logician
27,254 Posts
Recently I've been hearing quite a bit about _________...]
You can really fill in the blank here with nearly any brand of horn, mouthpiece and/or saxophone equipment. Just about all of what you hear is marketing, hype and/or just plain bragging from folks itching to be heard who will be looking for something else in short order. There's no harm in trying new horns, or even old ones. But don't let what you hear from others sway you into thinking what you play doesn't measure up.

·
2,294 Posts
You can really fill in the blank here with nearly any brand of horn, mouthpiece and/or saxophone equipment. Just about all of what you hear is marketing, hype and/or just plain bragging from folks itching to be heard who will be looking for something else in short order. There's no harm in trying new horns, or even old ones. But don't let what you hear from others sway you into thinking what you play doesn't measure up.
+1 !!!!!!

·
Registered
149 Posts
No doubt that Yamaha is the Best. No matter in qulaity or the brand name.
selmer Paris is good with Brand name.

Yamaha vs Selmer vs P mauriat , only the same poin is they all chagre a lot of money. But a lot of people will keep telling you Yamaha has good qulity and good name, selmer has good name and high price and as for P mauriat, it has the high price.

No matter what, you need to try all of them out.

one man's trash is another man's treasure, it is especially true with when trash is properly and carefully cover with smart marketing stargety. Like in this line.

·
Registered
956 Posts
The hype about Mauriat is that its MANUFACTURED MARKETING.

Theyre not as good as the major makers you listed, their endorsers only play them at marketing appearances, etc., or as a "kicking around the city" horn, but record & play gigs that matter on their old selmer, et al.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
The hype about Mauriat is that its MANUFACTURED MARKETING.

Theyre not as good as the major makers you listed, their endorsers only play them at marketing appearances, etc., or as a "kicking around the city" horn, but record & play gigs that matter on their old selmer, et al.
- 1 !!!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts