Sax on the Web Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I was curious to know your thoughts on what the main differences are between these two horns. Both seem to have very good reviews and our praised highly. I have heard that the RS Berkeley is very similar to the Mark VI and even Brecker was supposed to endorse them it is also at a better price point. Which one do you prefer?

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
I owned a System 76 for several years and have played the Virtuoso on a few occasions and would agree the Berkeley is a bit closer in feel to a vintage Selmer than the Mauriat. For me the Sys-76 had a bigger sound but also required more air. They're both pretty good horns that certainly can be played at a professional level and are typical of the better grade of instruments presently coming out of east Asia. That being said I wouldn't buy either new unless I was getting a significant discount. Both come up for sale fairly regularly lightly used usually at around 50% of the typical MAP pricing.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I agree with what Keith said about pricing. I consider the PMauriat horns to be the top of the asian stuff. I have a 66r and don't have the 76. I have had many Taiwan made tenors.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I owned a System 76 for several years and have played the Virtuoso on a few occasions and would agree the Berkeley is a bit closer in feel to a vintage Selmer than the Mauriat. For me the Sys-76 had a bigger sound but also required more air. They're both pretty good horns that certainly can be played at a professional level and are typical of the better grade of instruments presently coming out of east Asia. That being said I wouldn't buy either new unless I was getting a significant discount. Both come up for sale fairly regularly lightly used usually at around 50% of the typical MAP pricing.
oh ok great. I was also considering possibly getting the Eastman 52nd street tenors. What is your opinion on those? Thanks!

·
Registered
3,868 Posts
The 52nd St is closer in sound and feel to the Mauriat 66R that saxcop mentioned above. Most folks find the sound of these to be big and less focused though like any sax mouthpiece choice will play a large role as well. I really liked the sound of these tenors but I don't care much for the keywork, especially the left-hand pinky table which always feels too far away for me. Quality-wise they're pretty much equal to the others with the same caveat that they can be found for a very good price lightly used if you are patient.

In the end you really need to go and try them for yourself. The best you can really do getting online opinions is find out if the horns are worth trying or just passing on completely. After that how a horn feels and responds to you as an individual player will be the most important factor in addition to how well it's setup and adjusted.

·
Banned
2,844 Posts
I like the 52nd street. I also really like the Eastman 640. Also the latest version of the La Sax Big Lip or Big Lip x. The model number should have a 308 and some letters.

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I agree with what Keith said about pricing. I consider the PMauriat horns to be the top of the asian stuff. I have a 66r and don't have the 76. I have had many Taiwan made tenors.
No offense, but I consider the Yamaha 62 purple logo tenor to be the top tenor out of Asia. If you look for a while you can find one significantly cheaper than a P Mauriat.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts